• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Black Powder Shotgun

ThePennsylvanian

I have been trying find a single barrel black powder shotgun for some time now. I seriously considered buying a Knight Tk2000, but ultimately never did because they were such a niche gun, made specifically for turkey, well now i regret that. Does anyone know of any other single barrel shotguns that i can search for used? I know i can get a smooth bore rifle but im specifically looking for a black powder shotgun.

Last edited:
I have been trying find a single barrel black powder shotgun for some time now. I seriously considered buying a Knight Tk2000, but ultimately never did because they were such a niche gun, made specifically for turkey, well now i regret that. Does anyone know of any other single barrel shotguns that i can search for used? Or does anyone maybe even have a tk2000 they are willing to part with? I know i can get a smooth bore rifle but im specifically looking for a black powder shotgun.
@Nugget ?

I have been trying find a single barrel black powder shotgun for some time now. I seriously considered buying a Knight Tk2000, but ultimately never did because they were such a niche gun, made specifically for turkey, well now i regret that. Does anyone know of any other single barrel shotguns that i can search for used? Or does anyone maybe even have a tk2000 they are willing to part with? I know i can get a smooth bore rifle but im specifically looking for a black powder shotgun.
Are you looking for a turkey hunting flintlock? If so you could have one built with a colerain turkey barrel. http://colerainbarrel.com.
These barrel hold a killer pattern. SmartSelect_20210320-081538_Gallery.jpg
The pic. Is at 20yds with #9 TSS. The other route is sending off a smooth bore fowler to get jug choked. Look up jug choking on line. I have no clue how it works. I had my first turkey flinter jug choked and it had a great pattern. However, the colerain barrel is hands down better. There is also a lot of range time required to develop the right load. PM me if you want to talk more.

Man, I knew that you fellas would come through.
At this point, I was looking for a shotgun in general, with the idea of turkey hunting. These days I dont do a whole lot of small game, and when I do, i have a .32 cal cva squirrel. So short answer, yes, I want a black powder option for turkey. I'm not picky at the moment as to the ignition, I'm fine with flint, precussion, or modern. I'm just wanting to get my foot in the door. Im not new to black powder, been doing it my whole life, but I've got no experience with bp shotguns. I dont have a smooth bore to have modified best option is to have one of my hawkens rifling stripped maybe? The two long guns I have are not an option as they are family heirlooms.
As far as range time, I'm good with it. I'm thinking long term, not looking to hunt with it this year. I should have gotten into it a while ago but just never go the motivation...... thanks for the info, @Nugget I'll be coming you for sure!
Thanks for the connection @Allegheny Tom , one post and I've already got more Info then a couple weeks worth of sesrching......

I would hop onto modern muzzloader forum & get 20x responses. I know ML Don’t require FFL in every state let’s refrain from WTB or WTT offers here. CVA also made one in the optima action & you can find them cheap if your looking for something 209 based

Man, I knew that you fellas would come through.
At this point, I was looking for a shotgun in general, with the idea of turkey hunting. These days I dont do a whole lot of small game, and when I do, i have a .32 cal cva squirrel. So short answer, yes, I want a black powder option for turkey. I'm not picky at the moment as to the ignition, I'm fine with flint, precussion, or modern. I'm just wanting to get my foot in the door. Im not new to black powder, been doing it my whole life, but I've got no experience with bp shotguns. I dont have a smooth bore to have modified best option is to have one of my hawkens rifling stripped maybe? The two long guns I have are not an option as they are family heirlooms.
As far as range time, I'm good with it. I'm thinking long term, not looking to hunt with it this year. I should have gotten into it a while ago but just never go the motivation...... thanks for the info, @Nugget I'll be coming you for sure!
Thanks for the connection @Allegheny Tom , one post and I've already got more Info then a couple weeks worth of sesrching......
I know nothing about flintlocks but I knew Nugget could probably help you.
One of these days, I'd like him to teach me some stuff about it. Turkey hunting with flintlock would be cool .

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would hop onto modern muzzloader forum & get 20x responses. I know ML Don’t require FFL in every state let’s refrain from WTB or WTT offers here. CVA also made one in the optima action & you can find them cheap if your looking for something 209 based
Roger that, I didnt intend to make this a wtb post, it was a post for info more than anything, wont happen again!

Any chance you remember what the cva was called? I'm really looking for any opportunity to get into a bp sg. I definitely prefer flintlock rifles but I'm flexible in the shotgun world.
I did already send off emails to the company @ nugget suggested. I hadn't even thought about "building", mostly because I assumed building one would mean big$$, but the prices for barrels aren't terrible I was pleasantly surprised.

If you want a caplock, the Thompson Center New Englander was offered with a 12 ga barrel. Whatch what you look at as it is more commonly found with a 50 cal rifled barrel.

Roger that, I didnt intend to make this a wtb post, it was a post for info more than anything, wont happen again!
No big deal, just pointing it out early! As for that ML here’s an old link

Any chance you remember what the cva was called? I'm really looking for any opportunity to get into a bp sg. I definitely prefer flintlock rifles but I'm flexible in the shotgun world.
I did already send off emails to the company @ nugget suggested. I hadn't even thought about "building", mostly because I assumed building one would mean big$$, but the prices for barrels aren't terrible I was pleasantly surprised.
A build is definitely an investment. At least that's what I tell the wife. Look at ballistic products for everything you need to put down the barrel. TSS shot isn't cheap either but it's the way to go for turkey loads. It's also usually on back order.

I've been trying to catch a TC Encore 209x12 for a minute. They are few and far between. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Talk about a rabbit hole! Depends on how deep ya wanta go. I have a a bunch of percussion rifles and have owned 2 flint rifles. I gave up my best, but did fix up a back lock percussion shotgun I plan to hunt pheasants next season with my dawg Fred... Attached are some pics. Had to put a new trigger in that shotgun. Note the pivot pin. Check out track of the wolf or dixion muzzleloading too. You live in the birthplace state that has more history of flintlock history with great master craftsmen. You gotta go to the artisan show in Lewisburg, PA. https://www.facebook.com/18th-Century-Artisan-Show. Don't buy till you check out that event unless you can find a TC. Colerain barrels are made in PA too.
Check out, gunsamerica, gunbroker, gunshows. One nice thing about TC is they all have hook breeches so any barrel in that model you can swap from a rifle to shotgun or in some cases they made flint to percussion mods too with just a lock/barrel mod change.. Been hunting with percussion since 88 and flint since 2016. I'm excited for ya, brings ya back to good ole times..

Attachments

• CLB wide.jpg
    CLB wide.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 13
  • CLB medium.jpg
    CLB medium.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 13
  • CLB 1.jpg
    CLB 1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 13
  • Barnes trigger brown.jpg
    Barnes trigger brown.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 13
Talk about a rabbit hole! Depends on how deep ya wanta go. I have a a bunch of percussion rifles and have owned 2 flint rifles. I gave up my best, but did fix up a back lock percussion shotgun I plan to hunt pheasants next season with my dawg Fred... Attached are some pics. Had to put a new trigger in that shotgun. Note the pivot pin. Check out track of the wolf or dixion muzzleloading too. You live in the birthplace state that has more history of flintlock history with great master craftsmen. You gotta go to the artisan show in Lewisburg, PA. https://www.facebook.com/18th-Century-Artisan-Show. Don't buy till you check out that event unless you can find a TC. Colerain barrels are made in PA too.
Check out, gunsamerica, gunbroker, gunshows. One nice thing about TC is they all have hook breeches so any barrel in that model you can swap from a rifle to shotgun or in some cases they made flint to percussion mods too with just a lock/barrel mod change.. Been hunting with percussion since 88 and flint since 2016. I'm excited for ya, brings ya back to good ole times..
I'm actually talking with clerain right now to convert one of my .54 cal TC hawkens into a 20 ga. They are gonna lengthen and put a turkey choke in it. I'll be content with that to start but like all of my other BP rifles, once im in, ill be buying more....

Track had a couple SG, but the only ones not pending sale were double barrel. i have been on most of the gun sales site for quite a while, a year or more, trying to find one. who ever has one is just not letting them go. I really regret not getting into these when i had the chance, day late and a dollar short.
I love the look of that iron you got there. There's something about traditional bp frearms that i just love. While you can get some great wokrmanship in modern firearms, it just doesnt compare...

I'm actually talking with clerain right now to convert one of my .54 cal TC hawkens into a 20 ga. They are gonna lengthen and put a turkey choke in it. I'll be content with that to start but like all of my other BP rifles, once im in, ill be buying more....

Track had a couple SG, but the only ones not pending sale were double barrel. i have been on most of the gun sales site for quite a while, a year or more, trying to find one. who ever has one is just not letting them go. I really regret not getting into these when i had the chance, day late and a dollar short.
I love the look of that iron you got there. There's something about traditional bp frearms that i just love. While you can get some great wokrmanship in modern firearms, it just doesnt compare...
Didn't know they had that service. In addition to the better barrel I would also upgrade your lock. TC locks are good but not as fast and reliable as others. L and R makes a replacement lock for most TCs. They are not drop ins. But not that hard to do either.

Back