• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Black walnut for scent control

I watched this video a few days ago, not sure if will work any better then any other scent control or cover scent already out there. Probably worth a try though since it won't cost anything but your time. I'm big into scent control also but I still always hunt the wind. I don't believe you will ever be able to completely iliminate your scent enough to fool a whitetails nose. IMO.

Black walnuts are anti-microbial

the kernel extraction of black walnuts has been linked to antibacterial properties [12,13,14,15,16,17,18]. The stem bark extraction of English walnut (Juglans regia L.) has been reported to exhibit the antibacterial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus [19]

It works but the idea isn’t new. I learned about rubbing the green walnuts on our leather boots as a cover scent back in the late 1980s and it wasn’t a new idea back then. They stink but not as bad a coon pee or fox urine.

It works but the idea isn’t new. I learned about rubbing the green walnuts on our leather boots as a cover scent back in the late 1980s and it wasn’t a new idea back then. They stink but not as bad a coon pee or fox urine.

Indeed, doesn't take much effort to find references to it. Googled "Walnuts as cover scent" and whammy.

Apparently Outdoor Life even published a recipie:

"Hi all, i was wondering if anyone on here makes their own cover scent spray. i am a bit of a tightwad, and dont like having to buy some every fall. i was wondering about using walnuts, etc and boiling them. i read an article in outdoor life that said to mix the water with hydrogen peroxide and then let it sit for a couple days"

So on and so forth...

Last edited:
Probably adapted from Black Walnut Tincture...which uses Vodka...and was notably used at the Chernobyl fallout ...so a slight modification of a concept that's surely even older. Swap in water, drink the Vodka, lol.

Probably adapted from Black Walnut Tincture...which uses Vodka...and was notably used at the Chernobyl fallout ...so a slight modification of a concept that's surely even older. Swap in water, drink the Vodka, lol.

Off topic but my father in law is from Ukraine, served in the soviet military and could probably kill me pretty easy. He had to help build apartments to help evacuate irradiated areas around Chernobyl, but it turns out the apartments were too close so it was all that exposure to who knows what wasted for nothing. Two weeks ago a tooth was bothering him so he pulled it out with a string and sloshed vodka around in his mouth to complete the surgery.

Back