• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blacktail deer?

Jason277

Hello all, just curious if there are any blacktail deer hunters on here?

I’ve never hunted blacktail but if someone wanted to go to Kodiak island and chase them they wouldn’t have to twist my arm.

That always looks like a cool hunt on TV or in magazines

Except for the part about the bears that might eat ur deer & u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They claim a grizzly carrying off your deer looks about like a lab retrieving a goose. Hard to imagine sharing the woods with something with that much power and carnage. Oh and if you shoot one in self defense you’d need to be wearing teeth marks to not be hassled. The bear could be close enough to get powder burns and it still not be ruled as a justified shooting.

They claim a grizzly carrying off your deer looks about like a lab retrieving a goose. Hard to imagine sharing the woods with something with that much power and carnage. Oh and if you shoot one in self defense you’d need to be wearing teeth marks to not be hassled. The bear could be close enough to get powder burns and it still not be ruled as a justified shooting.

That's what the GoPro is for, evidence. I hear ya though. I'll still get a bear tag just in case there are more than momma and this cub.

That's what the GoPro is for, evidence. I hear ya though. I'll still get a bear tag just in case there are more than momma and this cub.

Get the tag. Heck I used to see more Bear than deer. And usually a mt lion at least every other weekend.
I used to hunt muleys more than black tail.

You up in the B zones? Back in the day it used to be dangerous to hunt up in Humboldt county.

Get the tag. Heck I used to see more Bear than deer. And usually a mt lion at least every other weekend.
I used to hunt muleys more than black tail.

You up in the B zones? Back in the day it used to be dangerous to hunt up in Humboldt county.

D-5
A few years back a was hiking in Santa Cruz, Mt. I got ahead on my friends and was alone. I swear there was a Mt Loin hissing and purring at me. I felt really vulnerable as I could not see it. That's happened to me twice. The other time near Lake Stumpy. Also got out ahead of my buddies. The lions are there and rarely seen.

Dangerous to to pot farms or wildlife?

D-5
A few years back a was hiking in Santa Cruz, Mt. I got ahead on my friends and was alone. I swear there was a Mt Loin hissing and purring at me. I felt really vulnerable as I could not see it. That's happened to me twice. The other time near Lake Stumpy. Also got out ahead of my buddies. The lions are there and rarely seen.

Dangerous to to pot farms or wildlife?

Back then the pot farms And the animals that ran the pot farms.
When I was young we hunted Fresno Dome and Dinky creek areas which I think were
D6 and D7. Mostly cause it was close. Later in life after my Dad passed I hunted a few different zones up and down the state with a few guys i worked with and others I had met off of JHO. I had mostly quit hunting the last few years before I moved out here to TN. Not having a consistent hunting partner sucked. Those are some big woods.

So far I've only spotted a couple doe on the trail cams. I see the bears more often. I hope to venture deeper into the property this weekend and deploy a few more cams. I'm still trying to locate bedding and water. They're feeding near the cabin and likely on some adjacent properties.

My buddy has photos of the Mule deer from past years. If a cold front comes early there's a chance for a Mulley too.

Back