• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolt holes

lpv77

How snug are your newly drilled holes? I picked up two bolts, 3/8" from Lowe's and a century 3/8" auger bit off amazon.
The holes are definitely a tad loose imop.
I'm assuming come season they may snug up a bit?

I hand drill mine with the EZ cut and they're very loose. I don't believe you'd want them snug if you're trying to put the bolts in and out of the holes. I believe if the bolts start to fit very snug in the holes that means your bit is getting dull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I set my first tree this weekend and I was surprised how easy they pull out. Honestly it made me a little nervous.

Anyone ever had a bolt pull out on them during a hunt?

Actual diameter of the drill bit makes a difference. I have two pocket hole type bits with different diameters. One is almost .015 smaller if I remember right. Bolts slide right in with one bit and need to be tapped in with the other. They should tighten up as soon as the tree starts growing.
I did have one pull out on the way down. Lineman's belt caught it as I was descending.

I set my first tree this weekend and I was surprised how easy they pull out. Honestly it made me a little nervous.

I haven't and I have only heard of it happening to someone once. I am way more likely to miss pulling one out on my way down and have to put them back in to go get it lol.

If you drill the holes on a slight angle the threads from the bolts grab the top of the drilled hole you should be putting pressure down on the bolts instead of pulling out I have never had one pull out

I have never had a bolt pull out, been using them for 8 plus years, but I only use the EZ kut bit, I have never tried any other brand of bit.

I've only had one come completely out. It was one I was using for my platform and the edge of my boot grabbed the head of the bolt and pulled it out. I have had a couple get slightly pulled out on the way up the tree I'm assuming from the tread on my boot. I also think this was partially due to taking very large steps between bolts. So on the way down I just tap each bolt in to make sure they're all the way in the tree before I put weight on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ok, I feel like me and @Scoutman are some of the most experienced bolt hunters on #saddlehunter.....
First:
When it comes to bolt holes, you want a little bit of wiggle room. Softwood trees will expand after drilling, so your drill bit can't be too tight, otherwise the hole would expand back larger than the bolt size.

Second:
you need to think of a bolt as a cantilever.... since that is exactly how it acts. the bolts

I’ve been using bolts for about 10 years after @WHW turned me on to them. He has been using them since the mid evil ages. Lol.
I’ve used the hand drill and electric drill. You need to have a mark on them to easily identify that they are bottomed out. I’ll put several coats of plasti dip on them, then cut the coating off at the tree line to have a two tone mark. I also paint them grey while they are stuck in the tree.
I find that if you drill them level, the hole cleans out nicely as you drill and the bolt pops right in. If you angle them, a lot of debris stays in the hole and may need a few passes of the drill to clean it.
I never had one fall out. Once you step on it, the threads on the end bites into the upper side of the hole. The closest I had to one falling out, was when I was pulling my back pack up and it snagged on a bolt. Being that they are two toned from the plasti dip on the outside, I could see it was pulled out an inch. I just swung my backpack into it and it popped right back in.

I find that if you drill them level, the hole cleans out nicely as you drill and the bolt pops right in. If you angle them, a lot of debris stays in the hole and may need a few passes of the drill to clean it.
Great point! I also noticed if I try to angle them that the entrance to the hole isn't as clean as well.

Ive noticed the same thing, it seems like I remember the instructions says for best results to put the bolts level, can' remember where I read it, it's been so long ago

They also don't feel good to stand on when put in on an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back