• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolt question

Fingerlakes257

Dec 14, 2020
Hey All,

I have a question and hope I can gain some insight from someone who has experience with climbing with grade 8 bolts.

I practiced drilled a tree in my backyard today with the tree hopper powerdrill bit. I then placed a bolt in the hole I drilled. I noticed the bolt slides in and out pretty easily. Is this normal? Or should it be more snug? Does anyone ever find the bolt slipping out?

My concern is climbing down after a hunt and God forbid one of the bolts comes out and I lose a step.

would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys!

Hinkelmonster

Oct 9, 2021
I bought a bit brace on Facebook for $10 just to see if I like the bolts. I then bought 3/8 x6” grade 8 bolts and then dipped in plasti dip 3.5” to eliminate noise and to make sure I got them all the way in when climbing.

I have not had any come close to coming out. There are times when I have to almost unscrew them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustystud

SH Member
Jul 17, 2021
I have used 6" x 3/8" grade 8 socket cap screws for over 20 years. I weigh 235 lbs. Have had a few bolts woller out holes in pines and populars. Broke one bolt off at surface of a hard tree in cold weather by stomping the bolt. Still think it is the best way to climb trees.