• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolts and drill

D.AKINS

Thinking of buying a lightweight 12v drill. I found a Bosch and a Rigid brand that will do the trick. My question is, what do all think I might cover the drill with to mask or eliminate the noise? Cover it with jacket,make a small insulated bag/cover?
This would make a climbing method really light.

I don’t know how clumsy it would be to try to keep it covered up with something while drilling holes. Why don’t you use a tree hopper hand drill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. Nothing faster and easier than a cordless for installing bolts. Might have to live with the noise. How much does the new drill weigh?

Have you ever tried an Aider with bolts? Pretty simple and stable and you eliminate all the bolts on one side of the tree cutting the number you need in half.

Terrible idea..... use the hand drill. It does not take that long. Use a power drill for off season pre sets.

Think about it.... it's a power tool.... makes alot of noise no matter what you do.

18 bolts and a hand drill weight 3.5lb.... that's pretty light

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

12V might battery might not get you through one tree either. I use 20V Dewalt and can get 3 trees usually. As others have already said, I use the Treehopper mini folding during the season. Power only for preseason.

Have you ever tried an Aider with bolts? Pretty simple and stable and you eliminate all the bolts on one side of the tree cutting the number you need in half.

Of course I’m going to have to try this now. I would love to not have to drill left handed.
Do you rappel down? I don’t like aiders coming down.
Sorry for the hikack.

You still need to carry a hand drill to be on the safe side. If the battery drill poops-out on you, then you are dead in the water. Gotta carry ta hand drill as the fail safe. I know from projects around the house...Batteries crap out when you least need them to.
So in reality, carrying a cordless does no t make your system lighter. It might make it faster but not lighter.
I use a 20v cordless for off season presetting and it's great.

I'm going to be using a drill myself but only for pre-season prep. I like the idea.

Terrible idea..... use the hand drill. It does not take that long. Use a power drill for off season pre sets.

Think about it.... it's a power tool.... makes alot of noise no matter what you do.

18 bolts and a hand drill weight 3.5lb.... that's pretty light

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

X2

Covering prolly not good idea just because it will probably overheat and cook the drill.

I have the Bosch, one battery gets me through 4.5 trees. I have contemplated doing the same. Bolts are awesome, hand drilling them not so much.

I wanted to test the noise factor at the box store but of course the battery was dead. It has 2 speed gear box. Weighing 1.6 lbs without battery. Thought about using a thick pistol case around the drill, letting just the bit come through one side and my hand slip in the other side? Probably buy the Bosch or Rigid 12v anyway.Really compact unit, battery fits in grip like a pistol magazine with no bulky flange like the 20v.
I would most likely keep my ezkut in the pack.

Never used aider, might look at that. Do you put both feet in aider while drilling and climbing?

I use the bolts or sticks and carry a windwalker when I go light. The bolts, woodpecker drill, and windwalker is about 10lbs.

Of course I’m going to have to try this now. I would love to not have to drill left handed.
Do you rappel down? I don’t like aiders coming down.
Sorry for the hikack.

No rappel. The Aider coming down isn’t difficult.

One thing to remember, you will sweat no matter how cold it is and even if you strip down to your base layers ( which I have to do) to drill using a hand drill. So if you are setting up and hunting, beware.

I used a cordless drill to install security boxes on my game cameras. 20 minutes after I installed the camera a deer was in front of the camera.
This has happened twice. The first time it was a small buck. The second time it was a doe and it took her about 30 minutes to make it to the camera.

Dan

Back