• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boots that will stand up to DRT?

Orion

Hi SH-ers,
I have been using a saddle since '05 (TrophyLine, now Aero) and have bought into DRT all the way, but man, hard on the boots. So far two pairs (still had much wear left in each) have bit the dust after a season of DRT. It seems the shearing effect of sliding around the tree is what tears the sole off the uppers. I really like a Vibram sole; any one have a thought as to what has worked? I don't think that rubber boots are the way to do due to overall size and inflexibility. Thanks much for any thoughts. JK

Hi SH-ers,
I have been using a saddle since '05 (TrophyLine, now Aero) and have bought into DRT all the way, but man, hard on the boots. So far two pairs (still had much wear left in each) have bit the dust after a season of DRT. It seems the shearing effect of sliding around the tree is what tears the sole off the uppers. I really like a Vibram sole; any one have a thought as to what has worked? I don't think that rubber boots are the way to do due to overall size and inflexibility. Thanks much for any thoughts. JK
What are you doing with your feet that would cause premature wear of boots? I haven't been climbing DRT long but typically the flat of my foot is against the tree? Are you grabbing the truck with inside edges of you feet/boots and using your legs to aid in your hip thrust? Maybe consider using a foot sling to climb so that you are not having to hip thrust if that is what you are struggling with? Need more details, these were just some of my initial thoughts from what you described.

How are your boots wearing out doing DRT? If so, then tell me what boots you're wearing so I don't buy them.

Back