• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boots

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
How do you guys store your boots? I keep mine in an air tight container in the truck but the whole idea of the inside odors mixing around in the container and getting on the outside of the boots doesn't make me think it is really worth it. I spray my boots down with scent killer before every trip in the woods.

I put the carbon odor eaters in my lacrosse boots and put a mess of leaf litter in the container and let her rip. Ive had a million deer cross my trail with not even a flutter.

Bigburner said:
I put the carbon odor eaters in my lacrosse boots and put a mess of leaf litter in the container and let her rip. Ive had a million deer cross my trail with not even a flutter.

Great idea on the carbon odor eaters! I haven't had any problem with deer crossing my trail either. It has just been nagging at me that there has to be a better way!

Sometimes the stink buildup from a sealed container is worse than leaving things out.
I wear LaCrosse PAC boots, LaCross Aero, or Moccasins.

I put newspaper or scent free dryer sheets in my boots after wearing to soak up moisture.
Sometimes spray the insides with Alcohol or Oust.
I have wool liners
I hit the outsides with Control Freak spray....and I end up with leaves in all my gear after a few uses.

Thinking about trying smoke this year.
I also have cedar and spruce oil (matches my woods).

I like bigburners carbon odor eaters idea a lot, I didn't know they made them.. I ordered some and I'm going to try that out.

What I typically do when I store my boots is this:

- Thoroughly wash them inside and out with scent free detergent
- dry them out completely with boot dryer
- Pour in some Baking soda in each boot. Then I throw one of those fish aquarium filters (with activated charcoal) in the box, then I close them up.

In between hunts I have a tote in back of my truck filled with 2 inches of crushed leaves and an open box of baking soda. I sprinkle the inside of each boot with baking soda, then I toss the boots in this box until the next hunt. I typically wash them after each weekend and dry and then back in this box. You could also put a fish aquarium filter in this box if you wanted.

Back