• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bottom stick aider

Arkhunter18

Guys just wondering what size and brand rope I'd need for a step aider on my first step? Same as you would use for lineman's belt? Tether?

Pretty sure most guys are using 1” webbing for their aiders. It’s a lot cheaper then rope. Aiders tend to get beat up from boots and dirt. Better off using some webbing then expensive rope imo.

More specifically, I think most guys are using tubular webbing. It has around a 4k breaking strength I believe and you can easily slide something in it to help keep the loop open while climbing.

Now sure exactly what system you're using for climbing, but if you haven't seen it yet, check out the "DaveT aider". It made my aider situation 100 times better!

I just sold a set of XOP sticks. They're good sticks and built like a tank! Be sure they're the ones that have fixed the recall on them. XOP carries the recall parts and they're free, you just have to contact them. Personally, I never had a problem with the originals, but obviously people did. If you're using three sticks and a moveable aider, you'll easily get to 20' with just 3.

I'm hoping I could get to 17 easily with 3 sticks and a fixed aider on the bottom stick...probably dreaming lol

I picked up some rubber hose dirt cheap. Slide that over the webbing. Keeps it open protects it. Works great.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

What type of webbing specifically are guys using..I want to use the tube over the webbing method

Use the 10mm-13mm rope inside the tubing. Even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used some 1"tubular mil spec webbing. It should take close to 10 or so feet for you to do a Dave T aider. I would order 12 feet if I were buying it by the foot.

the rope in the bottom isn't mandatory, but it is helpful. with it going around your step, it'll be open.

rubber fuel line works really well with webbing
View attachment 6223

that is interesting. I do wonder if having a line on going straight down on both sides keeps the step more stable. I was pretty surprised at how I never had the aider kick out a single time last year on me. Have you had one kick out?

Also, what do you do with your aider while going up to hang the next stick? I typically put my over my head.

Use the DaveT1963 aider. Goes up with you so one aider works all the way to the top. 3 sticks and his one step aider get me to 20’ platform included

the rope in the bottom isn't mandatory, but it is helpful. with it going around your step, it'll be open.
Just make sure its a stiffer rope. Tried with some and it was of no use. It will work with stiffer rope.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

that is interesting. I do wonder if having a line on going straight down on both sides keeps the step more stable. I was pretty surprised at how I never had the aider kick out a single time last year on me. Have you had one kick out?

Also, what do you do with your aider while going up to hang the next stick? I typically put my over my head.
the top small rubber line- wwhen i get on ladder i unhook and hold it in my teeth. works well for me.

Use the DaveT1963 aider. Goes up with you so one aider works all the way to the top. 3 sticks and his one step aider get me to 20’ platform included

Do you have a link to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back