• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Advice for Teenager

CajunSlinger

SH Member
My 15 year old son is wanting a bow for Christmas. Any suggestions for 1st starter bow? We’ll be bringing him to bow shops to get a feel for draw weight/length soon.

Would like something that’s adjustable for a few years but doesn’t break the bank.

Gonna let him play around with my extra saddle too so he’ll be ready next year if he likes it.

Not sure if he is interested in a traditional bow but I started with one when I was young and really wish I never got away from it. Starting off young with a recurve I shot that thing like a champ and then moved to a compound and now getting back into traditional I struggle and wish I never left it. With a recurve you can get an array of limbs and go up or down in weight with the same bow.

Something with 50 pound limbs if it’s not one those extremely adjustable rigs. Aside from that I don’t have much input, most bows are quality that are out.

We got my daughter a mission hype dt, got a crazy good deal on a Black Friday sale at Lancaster archery. Technically I could hunt with it…….lots of weight draw adjustment. Other mfrs have similar offerings (all in was less than $450) she still shoots it 4 years later…..
Just for reference that bow sold for $350 on the used market all setup….

Buy used bows, sell them as he grows. I’m confident you can have him shoot flagship bows for ten years and spend a total of 2-600.00 on shipping and from losses each time you sell a bow. Plus he’ll have a bow that fits him perfectly at all times.

Last edited:
He definitely wants a compound bow and I’ll check out used for sure.

We going to camp for Thanksgiving week and he already wants to hunt ladders stands or lock-ons in the woods, lol. Thinking he’s tired of being stuck with the boxes with only 3 lanes to shoot. I’ll put him in the woods next week and see how he likes more options to shoot. Gun for now but after Christmas we’ll have him slinging arrows maybe at deer depending on how quick he catches on. Archery closes end of January here.

For compound there are two things I suggest to friends.
First, buy a bow with valley, the extra 5 fps is not worth having a bow that will take off on you if you flinch.
Second, buy a bow that is draw length adjustable by a draw stop. Having to buy seperate draw modules is an outrage.
Also the bow is more resalable as it will fit just about everyone and also easy to pass along to a sibling.
Available at your price point at a store near you while supplies last. Lol

I picked up a Diamond for my youngest son a while back, the archery bug really didn't bite him yet so now my 30 year old daughter used the same bow for her first archery season, adjustability is key.

My 15 year old son is wanting a bow for Christmas. Any suggestions for 1st starter bow? We’ll be bringing him to bow shops to get a feel for draw weight/length soon.

Would like something that’s adjustable for a few years but doesn’t break the bank.

Gonna let him play around with my extra saddle too so he’ll be ready next year if he likes it.

My brother has a Bear Cruzr that is highly adjustable and he's killed a lot deer with it. It isn't the fastest bow, but I don't think there are any highly adjustable bows that are really fast.

How tall is your son now and how tall do men in your family (both sides) typically get? Has he hit his growth spurt?

I ask because many near flagship level bows are now available in 26 to 31 inch or so draw length. One of those in 45 to 60 lbs draw weight range would probably grow with him pretty well.

He’s 5’8” now and I’m 6’4”. Lots of room to grow.

The Bear bows have tons of adjustability so that’s an options too

I picked up a Diamond for my youngest son a while back, the archery bug really didn't bite him yet so now my 30 year old daughter used the same bow for her first archery season, adjustability is key.
They're really good shooting bows too.

Depending on where you are, I have a bear paradox (2020) that I will let go very reasonably.....

I got my kid a PSE Embark, he’s 15. 45-70lbs, I don’t remember the draw length range but it goes from pretty short to really long. He became more interested in chasing upright two-legged does and playing basketball and it’s for sale.

I may also have a spare saddle for sale if you really want to spoil him for Christmas

I have a bear cruzr i hunted with and now it is my wife's bow ....5-70 draw weight and 12-30 inch draw length...it is really light bow also. Shoots good but is a little loud at the shot compared to other bows I have heard shot or shot myself. I think the G2 is supposed to be nicer

Made in Florida :)

The bear bows are pretty sweet for the price. I also picked up one of those Dragon X8 for the kids to grow into. Not crazy about it.

I like Bear bows and would recommend checking them out. If it feels good, run with it, if not, have him try another brand. With technology now a days I think they’re all prolly good…. But what feels best to the shooter is the important thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll have him try a few out soon to see what feels good for him and go from there.

Back