• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow hunting from the saddle

Slingin eastons

I’m new to saddle hunting but it’s so much more comfortable when you’re size Sasquatch than a tree stand. I’ve been running into an issue when trying to shoot at the 10-11 o’clock angle where my bottom bow string is contacting the bridge. I was hoping someone here would be able to offer some tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sitting with your knees against the tree when drawing? I had this issue too stand up away from the tree or lowering tether my also help. My rule of thumb my tether goes no lower than the top of my shoulder so I can put shoulder under tether and get that 2-5 shot. I’m 6’1 with a 33 ata bow

Is it all the time? Just when you're sitting? Just when you're leaning? Have you dialed in your tether height or is it possibly too high?

When standing, I try to keep the tether in the chin to forehead which is what I keep seeing on here. I didn’t take a shot this year because of this on the only public land buck I saw. I’m gonna do some trial and error today, I was hoping there was a direction someone could point me in

Do you guys typically shoot from the sitting position up there?

I went around and around with this and even posted some videos showing it happening to me but mine was while leaning. Sitting I don’t think you have a way around this except maybe a short short bridge. It was discussed a fair amount and many pitched in to try and help me work around this.

I think it ultimately comes down to tether length, bridge length and how far away from the tree you are. What I discovered is most people will leave the cover of the tree to make that shot instead of staying snug to it. If you swing out a little you should have no problem making that shot, but like I said before, it’s not very feasible sitting down unless you turn your legs to the right and lean out to the left at the waist.

Interesting, I've only noticed it when sitting. I tend to prefer shooting while standing though. I keep my tether about chin high and haven't noticed issues

I am right handed. I don't shoot 10 or 11 o'clock sitting. From a leaning position I put my left knee against the tree and push out from my predator P. with my right foot. Is very effortless and is very controlled. My left knee against the tree provides the control. Just be sure a imaginary line drawn through both your shoulders should line up straight to your target. Someone mentioned saddle length, not hunting but just standing in my home if I pull up on my bridge, the apex comes to my xphoid process (bottom of my breast bone). 10 or 11 O'clock is not at all a difficult shot for me. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Make sure you are rotating your hips clockwise (for a right handed shooter).

Remember your form, it should be identical to how you shoot when standing on the ground. I'm willing to bet your bow arm is more in front of your chest than 90* to your side. Try to remember to keep your right shoulder, left shoulder and target in a straight line.

I am right handed. I don't shoot 10 or 11 o'clock sitting. From a leaning position I put my left knee against the tree and push out from my predator P. with my right foot. Is very effortless and is very controlled. My left knee against the tree provides the control. Just be sure a imaginary line drawn through both your shoulders should line up straight to your target. Someone mentioned saddle length, not hunting but just standing in my home if I pull up on my bridge, the apex comes to my xphoid process (bottom of my breast bone). 10 or 11 O'clock is not at all a difficult shot for me. I hope this helps.

Shortened up the bridge to this point and it made all the difference!

That was my suggestion too
Shorten the bridge a little
I’m 6’5 260 with size 15 feet
I have no issues shooting pretty much 360
Play with tether height and bridge length until you find something that works for you

That was my suggestion too
Shorten the bridge a little
I’m 6’5 260 with size 15 feet
I have no issues shooting pretty much 360
Play with tether height and bridge length until you find something that works for you

All hail king of the Squatch. I am only 6'5, 240. 32.5in DL. Size 14 (wide though, so there is that). We should make a sub thread for Yeti tree dwellers.

Back