• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow recommendations

okccj

I'm beginning to look for a new bow (not to be used during the 2018 hunting season) and am interested in recommendations. The characteristics I'm most interested in are:
  • accuracy/forgiveness
  • smooth draw
  • solid back wall
  • $600 or less
  • doesn't have to be brand new nor a flagship model
This would be strictly a hunting bow with my effective range not needing to exceed 40 yards. Thanks in advance

I spent around $600 plus accessories for the hoyt powermax. I love it but not much to compare it too. I recommend heading to the local bow shop and discussing with them and testing some. After shopping for bows this past spring it seems everybody has a different opinion on em

I spent 350 on a complete PSE combo from Field and Stream. The model was "Drop Tine" and it has performed wonderfully for 3 years. I haven't even needed to change the strings yet. I put a 175 dollar quivalizer and upgraded to a back tension release which puts me at about 600. I even dry fired this thing and nothing happened other than my peep and kisser flying off the string. I have shot my friends Hoyt Defiant and to be honest the accuracy is very comparable. Can't recommend PSE enough!

Agree with @Catskills. Find the bow shop within a reasonable distance that has the largest selection of bows possible. We have one not far from me that has 100’s, its amazing. Shoot everything in your price range and find the bow that works best for you. When I bought my last bow I was absolutely convinced I was buying a new screaming fast dart thrower. I shot them all. Well over 30 bows and not a single high speed bow felt right to me. I had 5 bows sitting there. None of them felt great but they felt the best out of them. Scratching my head trying to decide the salesman came up to me with another offering. A comparatively slow offering and I was very skeptical. After the first arrow flew I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face. It felt perfect and now I can’t even remember the other bows I was thinking about. I left out what I settled on, I mean amazingly discovered!, because your experience could be way different. I spent months reading bow reviews and thought I knew what I would be holding in my hand but things like backwall, balance and creep are all subjective to the shooter.

If you are right handed then the bow shop recommendation is very solid! Being a lefty the bow shops do not have demos for us to shoot. Tough to drop all that money on something you hope to like. I shoot a Bowtech Bt-X 31 and absolutely love it. However I did have a limb delaminate but Bowtech replaced all 4 limbs and charged me nothing. In the mean time while that was sent out I also bought a Hoyt Powermax complete kit for $650. I really enjoy shooting and thought I had a new preferred bow ... that is until the bowtech came back. Night and day, but at that price point you will need to buy used.

Get on Kings Kustom Archery and buy a new Bodnik Slick Stick. These are absolutely the best bows you can buy under your price. They are quiet, lightweight and very fast for a traditional bow. The people who shoot them absolutely love them

Look for something in the 34 to 36” axle to axle range with at least 6 1/2 brace height
Shoot a lot of different bows in those spec ranges and do not read a single article or review about any of them as they are all the latest and greatest from any company out there if you believe all the hype behind them.Pick the bow that feels the best in your hands and you will be pleased with it.All the major bow companies build a superior product these days.Don’t let marketing make your choice for you.
I have been fortunate enough to harvest nearly 200 animals with a bow and I don’t recall a one of them asking me what type of bow I was shooting,how fast I was shooting or what color hunting drawers I was wearing.Good Luck

I agree with trying as many as possible. I had to buy a bow last-minute this year, and was looking at about the same price point. I shot several bows, and a "budget" bow beat all of them and saved me $250. I bought a 2018 PSE Stinger Extreme RTH package for $400. I absolutely love this bow. I bought my last bow new in 2008 for $1000, naked, and I shoot the PSE much better. Find what fits.

This is essentially the same bow I bought 3 years ago but with a different name and cosmetics. Love this thing
I agree with trying as many as possible. I had to buy a bow last-minute this year, and was looking at about the same price point. I shot several bows, and a "budget" bow beat all of them and saved me $250. I bought a 2018 PSE Stinger Extreme RTH package for $400. I absolutely love this bow. I bought my last bow new in 2008 for $1000, naked, and I shoot the PSE much better. Find what fits.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Search ebay for a Bear Arena 34. Has both limb or cable stops. Dead quiet and quick. Just sold mine to a new hunter since my new Centaur Longbow came in but it was a absolute tack driver and Bear has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Look for something in the 34 to 36” axle to axle range with at least 6 1/2 brace height
Shoot a lot of different bows in those spec ranges and do not read a single article or review about any of them as they are all the latest and greatest from any company out there if you believe all the hype behind them.Pick the bow that feels the best in your hands and you will be pleased with it.All the major bow companies build a superior product these days.Don’t let marketing make your choice for you.
I have been fortunate enough to harvest nearly 200 animals with a bow and I don’t recall a one of them asking me what type of bow I was shooting,how fast I was shooting or what color hunting drawers I was wearing.Good Luck

I agree with this. There really isn't a bad bow anymore. I do think a shorter ATA wouldn't hurt either. I'm a 31" draw so I like longer bows.

Not sure if you've made your purchase already, but some good names have been thrown out there. The Stingers are all good bows. The Drop Tine was a ****s/F&S exclusive stinger, and while I hated them just because they used torx screws and EVERYBODY else uses SAE allens, they were good little bows.

I also came a heartbeat away from buying an Arena. Bear makes about the sweetest shooting mid-range bows on the market. There's some turds in the mix, but I pretty consistently liked all of the ones we sold. There was one in particular that actually used an old Mathew's cam. They're unfortunately discontinued, bit that bow was sweet for the money.

I have a buddy with a nice elite answer I’m sure he’s willing to ship. Definitely recommend shooting an elite bow and if your gonna buy used then try to find one to shoot just like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back