• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow String Break-In

athompson18

Morning fellow saddle hunters!

I just bought ABB for my bow which is a Blackout Intrigue XS(from Cabelas), which I believe Bear is the manufacture of the bow. I noticed yesterday that one of the cables is frayed from shoot it all the time. My question is with the technology and newer bow string material, what's the average/ recommended time for breaking in the strings? If there even is any anymore? I know they come pre-stretched from the factory.

You are correct, that the materials today are pre-stretched, and the strings are laid out/built under tension. The string "bundle" will settle over time and even out as you shoot. I put about 100 shots on a string before I tie a peep in to allow the string bundle to settle.

Is the cable fraying at the cable slide? Cam post?

Morning fellow saddle hunters!

I just bought ABB for my bow which is a Blackout Intrigue XS(from Cabelas), which I believe Bear is the manufacture of the bow. I noticed yesterday that one of the cables is frayed from shoot it all the time. My question is with the technology and newer bow string material, what's the average/ recommended time for breaking in the strings? If there even is any anymore? I know they come pre-stretched from the factory.

It depends upon the quality of the string/cables as far as build, plus an unknown factor.

I expect a break in of 100 shots or so and then check timing etc several times. I don't install a peep until I've shot it a while because it's just going to rotate on you and need tied in again.

At brace, the string is being stretched by the limbs and the cables have less tension. At full draw, the string has less tension (let off) and the cables are now more tensioned. As a result, the cables seem to break in more slowly. Cable stretch will show up as timing changes first (but also other issues like brace height shortening, axle to axle lengthening, draw weight dropping, and draw length shortening...but these are less noticeable and less detrimental to bow tune).

I just checked and a bow with a high quality string that I thought had stabilized stretched over the winter and is now out of tune.

Some advocate putting a bow on a draw board and leaving it at full draw for 12 hours to stretch the cables. But I just don't feel comfortable with that (afraid of a derail).

Do you have a press and a draw board?

I would strongly advise against leaving a bow on a draw board at full draw for any length of time beyond whats needed to tune/time.

Ive made compound bow strings/cables for the last ten years. I pre-stretch them at 400 lbs after twisting them and before serving them. Final length is measured at 100 lbs. They will stretch and 1/8" - 1/4" at 400 lbs and within 30 minutes be back to normal after returning to 100 lbs. The initially twist of a peep in a new string is more from the bundle settling under tension/during draw than stretch of a string.

You are correct, that the materials today are pre-stretched, and the strings are laid out/built under tension. The string "bundle" will settle over time and even out as you shoot. I put about 100 shots on a string before I tie a peep in to allow the string bundle to settle.

Is the cable fraying at the cable slide? Cam post?

Mainly the service at the bottom of the Cam has come off, along with the cable slide, I have a few strings that are frayed a little. Figured it might be worth new strings. After this season I plan on upgrading bows.

It depends upon the quality of the string/cables as far as build, plus an unknown factor.

I expect a break in of 100 shots or so and then check timing etc several times. I don't install a peep until I've shot it a while because it's just going to rotate on you and need tied in again.

At brace, the string is being stretched by the limbs and the cables have less tension. At full draw, the string has less tension (let off) and the cables are now more tensioned. As a result, the cables seem to break in more slowly. Cable stretch will show up as timing changes first (but also other issues like brace height shortening, axle to axle lengthening, draw weight dropping, and draw length shortening...but these are less noticeable and less detrimental to bow tune).

I just checked and a bow with a high quality string that I thought had stabilized stretched over the winter and is now out of tune.

Some advocate putting a bow on a draw board and leaving it at full draw for 12 hours to stretch the cables. But I just don't feel comfortable with that (afraid of a derail).

Do you have a press and a draw board?

I do not have a press or a draw board, I was going to go to my local shop and have them put them on, I can do the rest as far as paper tune and get the bow back to shooting bullet holes. But as far as peep tie in/etc ill have them put it in and I can adjust it from there. Was planning on shooting 50 shots at the shop while I am there just to get some settle out of the stings and have them make any adjustments if need.

I need to by a press and build a shop, that is on my agenda in the next year or so.

Mainly the service at the bottom of the Cam has come off, along with the cable slide, I have a few strings that are frayed a little. Figured it might be worth new strings. After this season I plan on upgrading bows.

Time for new strings/cables if the serving has worn through and starting to fray the string - with that said, that bow new from cabelas is like $299. You will pay nearly half that for a good set of custom strings. Unless, you really like the way that bow shoots or it has some sentimental value, I would buy the new bow over strings for that one.

Time for new strings/cables if the serving has worn through and starting to fray the string - with that said, that bow new from cabelas is like $299. You will pay nearly half that for a good set of custom strings. Unless, you really like the way that bow shoots or it has some sentimental value, I would buy the new bow over strings for that one.

You know I thought the same thing, I already bought a new set of strings for $100 bucks from ABB. I am shooting a TAC in PA in a few weeks and going to use this bow for the remainder of the year through the season. In the middle of paying for our wedding coming up in September and don't have the extra 1k too buy a new bow just yet. After this season I will, and I plan on keeping this bow and turning it in to a bow for my wife as long as I can get the poundage down.

You know I thought the same thing, I already bought a new set of strings for $100 bucks from ABB. I am shooting a TAC in PA in a few weeks and going to use this bow for the remainder of the year through the season. In the middle of paying for our wedding coming up in September and don't have the extra 1k too buy a new bow just yet. After this season I will, and I plan on keeping this bow and turning it in to a bow for my wife as long as I can get the poundage down.

That makes more sense. I would search the classifieds on Archery talk. You can get some incredible deals on bows that were $1000 two years ago. You can even find brand new left overs for half the price.

Congrats on getting married!

That makes more sense. I would search the classifieds on Archery talk. You can get some incredible deals on bows that were $1000 two years ago. You can even find brand new left overs for half the price.

Congrats on getting married!
Good Idea I never would of thought about that.

Thank you!

Back