• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

bow string contacts bridge rope when drawing

fr0sty

Sep 14, 2017
Minnesota
I'm right handed have my bow on the left. I have the tree mostly in front of where I expect the deer to come from. My first practice draw I noticed the bow string touched the bridge rope at full draw. I had to come quite a bit more around the tree to stop that from happening. I assume this has to do with how long the bridge rope is along with how high I place the tree strap.

I'm using a stock kestral and I have the tree strap above head height (also a leaner). I have the strap that high because of the bridge being so long.

Anyone else experience this and what was your solution?

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 11, 2017
Garrett County, MD
The majority of people shorten the stock Kestrel bridge. It come very long. With a shorter bridge you can lower your tether which will also help keep the bridge out of the way when drawing.

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
Yep, short bridge/low tether is the solution. Also, I think it is a more comfortable setup anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hauscaliber

Jul 14, 2018
I had the same problem with my kite. I made an amsteel bridge only 24" in length. Now I have no problem making all the shots. Not to mention less bulk and weight.

Reactions: bigjoe

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I'm right handed have my bow on the left. I have the tree mostly in front of where I expect the deer to come from. My first practice draw I noticed the bow string touched the bridge rope at full draw. I had to come quite a bit more around the tree to stop that from happening. I assume this has to do with how long the bridge rope is along with how high I place the tree strap.

I'm using a stock kestral and I have the tree strap above head height (also a leaner). I have the strap that high because of the bridge being so long.

Anyone else experience this and what was your solution?
I'd recommend shortening your bridge. Most guys like it between 24-30". Once you shorten it, it will give you more range of adjustment up and down with your tether but still have more clearance. Also you need to practice drawing your bow in your saddle. Drawing it sitting in the saddle is different than standing in the backyard and you need to make sure you get used to it.

tbowers

Aug 2, 2018
I had this issue last night when I was at full draw on a doe- the string was touching my bridge(24" fixed length). The shot was on my strong side about 10 o'clock. I ended up just rotating a bit and it cleared but I would guess i need to lower my tether height? I had it set at about eye level.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I had this issue last night when I was at full draw on a doe- the string was touching my bridge(24" fixed length). The shot was on my strong side about 10 o'clock. I ended up just rotating a bit and it cleared but I would guess i need to lower my tether height? I had it set at about eye level.
Most likely you need to move your upper body to keep everything in line with the arrow. "Bend at the waist" could be used as "twist at the waist" as well. You could do this by twisting at the waist or moving around the tree further to keep everything in line. At this point it probably won't contact your bridge. It is really easy to just move your shoulders to shoot it would probably cause you to hit the bridge like you're saying. Does that make sense?