• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Brainstorming for a platform type build, ideas and input welcome

Robert

I realize that I could purchase a WE perch, or a Tether'd platform and be very happy. But I like to design and build things, and I recently got the opportunity to do so. I work at a waterjet and machine shop. My boss said he would be willing to let me run a piece or two on the waterjet if I came up with the mechanical drawing and specs.

The relevant stock we have is 1/4", 1/2", and 1" extruded 6061 aluminum sheets, along with various tool steels and foam products. Ordering a different thickness would be out of the question, as our orders are measured by the truckload. I think the 1'' 6061 aluminum sheets are about $650 for a 4x8, even with the volume we purchase, so I will likely make a small piece that's great for long walk in, hang and hunt situations. Currently I climb with WE steps and use 2-4 steps as a platform, and my only real complaint is foot comfort, as I seem to always rest my feet on a very small portion of the step.

A hang on platform would likely solve my foot discomfort, and a climbing platform along the lines of the modified top portion of a climbing stand would add versatility to my climbing methods because of the straight, nearly branchless creek bottom sycamores I tend to frequent in my hunting area in addition to providing a platform for when at hunting height.

What options should I consider for my design/build? I was thinking I could make one of the following, listed in order of increasing difficulty to build:
-A platform that snugs into a Wild Edge step, much like the WE perch platform, but likely larger
-A stand alone platform similar to Tether'd's
-A climbing foot platform along the lines of the Lone Wolf hand climber platforms I've read some guys modify from a climbing stand.
Thanks in advance for the help!

If I were in your shoes I would design an improved perch addressing it's shortcomings and go from there since you climb exclusively with WE steps. Really the only issue with the perch in my opinion is the side to side slide you get with it on occasion. I think if the front two tongue pieces were reversed, where it slides in towards the tree that would solve all of its issues because then you could use another strap on the perch and get it real tight. It would also prevent the WE step from pulling away from the tree. Just a thought

Back