• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Branches at Hunting Height

LarryBobby

I am struggling to set up in trees with branches at hunting height. It seems like a pretty common opinion that more trees are huntable with a saddle than a hang-on stand. I can't wrap my head around what I am doing wrong.

When you are facing the tree (and your expected shooting direction is the direction you are facing) and there are branches at hunting height (waist to head high), how do you move around the tree? And since you are facing the tree and the branches, those branches are in the way when drawing.

This compares to hunting a hang-on which you can hang between the branches and face away from the tree which means no tree or branches in the way of drawing or shooting.

I hunt public where no cutting is allowed.

Both pictures show the side of the tree I need to hang from in order to face my shot opportunities.

Attachments

• 20191006143004142.jpg
    20191006143004142.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20191006143117215.jpg
    20191006143117215.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 185
I pretty much never hunt in a tree that i can shoot all the way around.I just don’t care to be that open in the tree.What i do is treat my weak side like i would the back of a tree stand.But trimming isn’t a problem where i hunt.I just don’t go crazy with it.

Hunt 3 or 4 feet lower. Pick a spot on the tree that gives you the most mobility. And be careful climbing those shagbark hickories. They are noisy and slippery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sit higher or sit lower. I like to use the branches as foot hold instead of using steps or a platform

Sit higher or sit lower. I like to use the branches as foot hold instead of using steps or a platform

Lol reminds me of this pic I took a couple weeks ago
8162db0954b8c81d0183830c15b0d41a.jpg

Not sure how to explain it any better. Like the others have mentioned try changing your elevation. Most trees I hunt won't allow for a hang on either due to branches or lean. I have not encountered your problem.

Most times I climb till I have a good vantage. Sometimes that 20' sometimes that only 12' all depends on cover. Earlier season when the trees still have leaves I tend to hunt lower and move up as the canopy falls. I never have 360' view thicker the better for me. Just remember. Just cause you have 3-4 sticks doesnt mean you always have to use all of them. Climb up, feel good about your spot, and drop the remaining sticks to the ground.

Not sure how to explain it any better. Like the others have mentioned try changing your elevation. Most trees I hunt won't allow for a hang on either due to branches or lean. I have not encountered your problem.
I was going to climb a leaner yesterday but wasnt sure (guess I'm used to lock ons). Are leaners easier in a saddle?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was going to climb a leaner yesterday but wasnt sure (guess I'm used to lock ons). Are leaners easier in a saddle?

I have found so yes. Screenshot_20191006-173118_Gallery.jpg
Not sure how well it comes through but definitely a lean on this tree, hunted in complete comfort and dropped a nice buck. Was up above 5 branches or so there.

Leaners are easier in the top side. You can tweak your tether position to move your equilibrium a bit either way. "Walking around the tree" on a ROS can be difficult or impossible depending on angle.

In my opinion, learners are more doable, but still tough. Hunt on top and sturdy ros or platform are more important. Try one in the yard if you can.

I cussed a leaner to no end a couple weeks back, that thing whooped me good

This is the kinda tree I like when rifle hunting....

0c7b53266b4423ca157b8e4d10da72cb.jpg

I don’t like leaning trees personally. On top side of the lean it’s hard to walk around the tree without losing balance. On bottom side of the lean it’s hard to stand up on the platform. They’re definitely doable, I just prefer a straight section of tree.

I prefer to setup for shot opportunities 90* to my strong side, but have the tree between me and where I think the deer will approach from. For example, when hunting bedding, I want the tree between me and the bedding, but my shot perfectly to my 9 o’clock since I’m right handed.

You can hunt any tree in a saddle. That’s a 100% true statement. That doesn’t mean it won’t suck. A little lean is no issue. After a point you won’t be comfortable and you’ll be staring at all the straight trees around you wondering what it was that made you want to climb this one.

You can hunt any tree in a saddle. That’s a 100% true statement. That doesn’t mean it won’t suck. A little lean is no issue. After a point you won’t be comfortable and you’ll be staring at all the straight trees around you wondering what it was that made you want to climb this one.

Lol that’s true. I don’t necessarily look for a straight tree, but a tree with a straight section where I can tie off.

Lol that’s true. I don’t necessarily look for a straight tree, but a tree with a straight section where I can tie off.

I don’t search for straight trees but when I first got my saddle I put myself in some really uncomfortable trees because I could hunt all these gnarly live oaks that I never could hunt before. I’ve put myself in pines with a water oak growing a few feet away from it lately. I’ve got plenty of cover but I don’t have to hook/unhook my linesman’s ten times on the way up.

Back