• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Brand new, need a climbing method.

AdamDSmith

So, brand new to saddle hunting. Tried my hand with a climber last season and discovered its not really for me but any ways. Slowly piecing my kit together, just bought a trophyline and some lines from the classifieds on here. Now I need a climbing climbing method. Trying to bring it in under $60. Any suggestions? May have to go with the 1 stick method or something else. I know there are more components that I need but trying to at least get started so I can get used to climbing before season.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest a set of 4/5 WE stepps + knaider + 5-step aider, but it's not for the faint of heart and slightly outside of your budget. You could go with primal v treesteps + notch dryad mod over the WE stepps to get within your budget but they're currently out of stock everywhere I've looked and the saddlehunter effect will probably have them sold out quickly once they come back (soonest re-stocking date on sportsman guide is 7/15).

If you're hunting private land you can probably get away with bolts/presets for relatively cheap.

I think you're probably on target with the one stick method. I really couldn't tell you which stick to go with. Muddy pros and hawk heliums seem to be the most popular choice around here that I've seen. If I didn't already have a set of 4 xop sticks from my hang-on days I would personally gravitate towards the muddys.

Whatever method you decide to go with this year, don't be afraid to experiment/evolve your kit. You might settle into one method due to costs this year but next year you might find an even better method for your style of hunting.

I would suggest a set of 4/5 WE stepps + knaider + 5-step aider, but it's not for the faint of heart and slightly outside of your budget. You could go with primal v treesteps + notch dryad mod over the WE stepps to get within your budget but they're currently out of stock everywhere I've looked and the saddlehunter effect will probably have them sold out quickly once they come back (soonest re-stocking date on sportsman guide is 7/15).

If you're hunting private land you can probably get away with bolts/presets for relatively cheap.

I think you're probably on target with the one stick method. I really couldn't tell you which stick to go with. Muddy pros and hawk heliums seem to be the most popular choice around here that I've seen. If I didn't already have a set of 4 xop sticks from my hang-on days I would personally gravitate towards the muddys.

Whatever method you decide to go with this year, don't be afraid to experiment/evolve your kit. You might settle into one method due to costs this year but next year you might find an even better method for your style of hunting.
Yeah, I figure there's a pretty big learning curve lol

My vote is for the one stick method. It’s easiest with a cam cleat. Only factory options with one is muddy pros. You can put a cam cleat on any stick though which is what I did.

With using the one stick method, you don’t have much use for a linesman belt because you are always hooked up with a tether. You would need one though for getting around limbs but anything would work. I’ve used a lone wolf stick strap before.

Not to discourage you, but all the good climbing stick options, and WE steps, are out of stock or back ordered for weeks/months. Not something you can just go out and buy (except maybe Lone Wolfs if you can live with the single sided steps). Best bet is to either know someone that has some used gear, or watch this forum's classifieds and be ready to pull the trigger quickly if anything comes up. Otherwise you'll miss it. Helium sticks are orderable, but nobody knows how long the wait will be. WE steps are probably running at least 8 weeks out, maybe more (I'm on week 6 of my wait). Muddy Outdoors is supposed to start taking stick orders sometime this summer or early fall, but it will be a gamble for this season. Another option is to buy components (doublesteps.com) and DIY your own sticks. They are nice, but expensive.

I have been one sticking and SRT climbing mostly. I may try some mini stick climbing just to try it. But at $60 you may be looking at rope ladder climbing, which seems good to me also.

Basically, 2 sets of tethers; one you hook to with a RCH and the second tether is connected to a foot loop; It has a name but I'm old and don't recall it - can anyone help.

Quick search on youtube might score the video.

I have been one sticking and SRT climbing mostly. I may try some mini stick climbing just to try it. But at $60 you may be looking at rope ladder climbing, which seems good to me also.

Basically, 2 sets of tethers; one you hook to with a RCH and the second tether is connected to a foot loop; It has a name but I'm old and don't recall it - can anyone help.

Quick search on youtube might score the video.
I saw a video where a fella was essentially climbing like you would with a climbing stand but using a rope type system. I'm anxiously awaiting my gear I bought so I can get a better idea what all I need, I'm sure it's more than just a climbing method lol

Amazon has the rivers edge grip stick 3 pack for 54.99. They are steel. They are about 4lbs per stick. They are also welded so there’s not much modification you can do with them. They aren’t ideal but fall into your budget. You will want nicer sticks but at least you will have a nice set of sticks for presets. Personally I would wait a month or two on the helium’s to come out. That will give you more time squirrel away some more cash also. The primal v steps are another budget option but like said above they aren’t in stock and will sale out quick.

I recommend getting a set of 3 climbing sticks and using them. As I gained proficiency I would add a single step aider. I have tried most, and to be legal on all public lands, work in most any tree, safe, quiet and easy to set up and use, it is the system I now prefer after 40+ years of slinging arrows from trees.

Back