• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bridge length

UMICH1

I've read where many are using a fixed 24" bridge. I ordered a Mantis and it's 30". I was going to make a fixed amsteel but think I'm going to take my leftover strap from my Anderson and sew a bridge like John Eberhart did on his. This is for my son. I just don't know what length to do. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'm debating whether to use speedy stitcher or just bring to local upholstery shop

Please consider that the only thing standing between you and the ground will be the stitches you're talking about doing yourself. Why don't you want to use the amsteel bridge?

I still have the rubber coated rings still on it and have to use a carabiner to hook over the webbing. Using the webbing will allow me to feed it through the rubber rings. I don't know, I may still use the amsteel.

I'm just confused as to what length to make the bridge. I see many like 24". But the Mantis uses 30". I've read that the longer bridge is better for hip pinch. So what's the advantage of the shorter bridge?

I would spend a fair amount of time reading the posts in these forums, and watching some youtube videos on bridge length, making bridges, splicing rope, sewing, etc. I would not put your butt 30' in the air hanging from stitches you just learned how to do without some real research. Please be careful.

The only advantage to me of a shorter bridge is less interference for shooting. Having said that, there's no shot I can't make with a 48" bridge, just requires a little maneuvering. Best thing to do is to tie one long, with climbing rope (figure 8 knot is really simple to tie). Hang from the tree at ground height, and grab both sides of the bridge with your hand right below the carabiner. Then slowly work your hand towards you, pinching the two sides of the bridge together. Once you feel it start to work your hips a little, stop there. Back up a few inches, and mark it. Then retie the bridge shorter, taking out the distance from your mark to the carabiner(x2). That should get you in the ball park. Most people will fiddle with this using knots and climbing rope as a bridge until they find the right combination of tether height and bridge length. Then if you want to tie a permanent bridge on, go to town.

Thanks for the advice!!! I may just make a whoopie sling and that way he can adjust and see what he likes.

Back