• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bridge options

scottprice

Trying to decide on what type of bridge I would like to use. Not sure if Amsteel is the best option....Tubular webbing....climbing rope...

One thing I do not like about Amsteel is the fact that there’s no protective sheathing like with a climbing rope...

I also just found this video on YouTube and thought this was a pretty damn slick idea, do away with the permanent bridge all together and do this?

24 inch Dyneema 22kN (Amsteel) sling, girth hitched to left side bridge loop and caribiner girth hitched to other end of sling.
Clip caribiner to right bridge loop for 24 inch bridge.
Alternately, pass sling through right bridge loop back to left bridge loop and clip for a 44kN (not exactly) 12 inch bridge.
Unclip bridge and store clipped to left side. Unfasten belt buckle and remove saddle. No need to step through anything.
Stored this way, you cannot be up a tree looking for your bridge unless you are also looking for your saddle. :grinning:

The way areo hunter is doing the kestrel flex webbing bridge is hard to beat Imo.
Having a adjustable bridge to find your individual comfort is important

The way areo hunter is doing the kestrel flex webbing bridge is hard to beat Imo.
Having a adjustable bridge to find your individual comfort is important
I just “had to” go with webbing bridge because Samson is delayed again. Should I feel bad about this? I don’t know why my mind thinks rope is so much better, I’ve never tried webbing to compare lol. I just told them to put the web bridge on because I want my saddle asap. What makes a web bridge desirable in your opinion?

I like that it is less bulk for walking in and having the adjustability of bridge length being so compact and simple.
It’s apparently the most popular option for Flex buyers. I figure the worst that can happen is I buy some rope later and make a new bridge, or maybe see if Wesspur would splice some Predator around my bridge loops if I ship them my saddle in the off season. Thanks for your input!

I would like to see a diy adjustable webbing bridge the does not require stitching.

Amsteel is stronger than anything, and it’s also slick so the carabiner won’t hardly fray it at all. If I didn’t use amsteel I’d probably use tubular webbing. But after using amsteel for a whole season, that’s all I ever need for a bridge. Would like to convert to a Whoopi sling in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would also like to make a whoopie sling. Currently run my samson predator with a prussick on my bridge

I just “had to” go with webbing bridge because Samson is delayed again. Should I feel bad about this? I don’t know why my mind thinks rope is so much better, I’ve never tried webbing to compare lol. I just told them to put the web bridge on because I want my saddle asap. What makes a web bridge desirable in your opinion?
I did an Amsteel whoopie for a year. Very nice, but after owning a Flex for 2 minutes, I converted my Kestrel Amsteel to tubular webbing. I like it better than Amsteel. So smooth during rotation and no bury bumps to feel during rotation.

If I was to go back to webbing, I would simply tie one on at my preferred length. Once I found what I prefer for bridge length, I just do not adjust mine - I make hang corrections with my tether. One thing to keep in mind, the longer the bridge the more you have 2 ropes that come into play with shooting... and the higher your tether is also effects ropes coming into play. For that reason i prefer a short bridge (22 inches) and a really low tether. If I feel the need to "rest" more I can easily raise my tether - but honestly, for hunts 6 hours and less, my tether is right below my chin and I have zero problems with a rope getting in the way. Now I hunt really thick nasty bedding stuff so i seldom get warning of a buck approaching, he is there and in the shooting lane with only a few seconds notice in most cases. If I hunted more open areas, or if I used a ROS, I may run a higher tether - but ZI doubt it.

I have zero concerns about amsteel not having a sheath - it is stronger than steel.

If I was to go back to webbing, I would simply tie one on at my preferred length. Once I found what I prefer for bridge length, I just do not adjust mine - I make hang corrections with my tether. One thing to keep in mind, the longer the bridge the more you have 2 ropes that come into play with shooting... and the higher your tether is also effects ropes coming into play. For that reason i prefer a short bridge (22 inches) and a really low tether. If I feel the need to "rest" more I can easily raise my tether - but honestly, for hunts 6 hours and less, my tether is right below my chin and I have zero problems with a rope getting in the way. Now I hunt really thick nasty bedding stuff so i seldom get warning of a buck approaching, he is there and in the shooting lane with only a few seconds notice in most cases. If I hunted more open areas, or if I used a ROS, I may run a higher tether - but ZI doubt it.

I have zero concerns about amsteel not having a sheath - it is stronger than steel.
Although my bridge(tubular) is adjustable, I've yet to find the need to change the length. Dave is 100% correct about a short bridge and a low tether. Its never in my way during my draw.
When I had a Trophy Line several years ago, I was told to attach the tether high. That, in addition to that ridiculously long bridge, often had that crap in my way when drawing.
Dave, Thanks for discovering and sharing the shot bridge/low tether.

Dave, Thanks for discovering and sharing the shot bridge/low tether.

Not sure I discovered it - just promote it :) I actually talked to John E long ago and he was first that told me to get it to head height - from there I just keep experimenting with it and found a low tether and short bridge really worked well with my platforms.

Not sure I discovered it - just promote it :) I actually talked to John E long ago and he was first that told me to get it to head height - from there I just keep experimenting with it and found a low tether and short bridge really worked well with my platforms.
You may have not discovered it, but you were the 1st I heard that conveyed it in a way that made me want to try it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I also use tubular webbing. I girth hitched both sides and stitched them. I also have a short bridge and like my tether attachment at about the middle of my chest.

24 inch Dyneema 22kN (Amsteel) sling, girth hitched to left side bridge loop and caribiner girth hitched to other end of sling.
Clip caribiner to right bridge loop for 24 inch bridge.
Alternately, pass sling through right bridge loop back to left bridge loop and clip for a 44kN (not exactly) 12 inch bridge.
Unclip bridge and store clipped to left side. Unfasten belt buckle and remove saddle. No need to step through anything.
Stored this way, you cannot be up a tree looking for your bridge unless you are also looking for your saddle. :grinning:
Replace "amsteel" with "tubular webbing" in these sentences and that's exactly what I do.

It’s apparently the most popular option for Flex buyers. I figure the worst that can happen is I buy some rope later and make a new bridge, or maybe see if Wesspur would splice some Predator around my bridge loops if I ship them my saddle in the off season. Thanks for your input!
If you do end up buying rope later, you could mail your adjustable webbing bridge to me...

Back