• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

bridge questions

kyler1945

SH Member
I'm working on a sit drag mod. I slapped a lone wolf stand strap on there to have a way to adjust the length of the bridge with the cam buckle, and once dialed in i'll make a permanent bridge.

While doing this I had an epiphany - I rotated to my left and the bridge slid through the carabiner as I rotated. I became concerned briefly as I turned that it would slide all the way down to the loop on the sit drag and I'd be upside down. Instead, the cam buckle caught right at about the limit of where I'd want rotation to stop (completely accidental).

This gave me a great idea - I want the freedom of a solid bridge with "stops" at either end of travel Thinking a simple way to do this is a knot in my bridge at each stopping point.

Question - How freely do the amsteel bridges slide through the carabiner under load? Is it slippery or can you control it? The lone wolf strap slid in a very controlled manner I was surprised.

Anyone see issues with having a knot in the bridge to catch at the carabiner when I'm rotated fully in either direction? Based on my accidental experiment it looks like about 10-12" between the stops would be ideal.

I'm sure I'll play with this and have more answers for myself......but...work....

I've been using an amsteel bridge all season. It's perfect. The knots are Completely unnecessary.

Everytime you tie a knot it will weaken the rope like g2 said. I haven't used an amsteel bridge on any of my saddles, but I've never had a problem with over rotating. Amsteel is definitely slicker than regular climbing rope.

Just played around a little, and under tension it is easy enough to control. I wasn't worried about the reduction in strength, as 1/4" amsteel is rated to about 10x the sit drag anyway. But like you guys said - not necessary at all, it works fine without. Making my first sit with it tomorrow most likely. No bells and whistles other than molle loops and foam pad. Got a couple of options in the hopper...

First idea that came to mind would be putting 2 prussics on the bridge itself. One on either side of the caribeaner with the loop ends attached to the caribeaner. Thus allowing only a certain amount of rotation for each side. Not sure how this knot will work on amsteel though. Worth a true if you're concerned about it.

First idea that came to mind would be putting 2 prussics on the bridge itself. One on either side of the caribeaner with the loop ends attached to the caribeaner. Thus allowing only a certain amount of rotation for each side. Not sure how this knot will work on amsteel though. Worth a true if you're concerned about it.
That would work but I wouldn't do it on amsteel at all. Also, I think doing it is unnecessary.

Yup. I hunted it for the first time yesterday. I was mainly doing scouting but wanted to bring the whole setup to practice in real time.

I sat two hours, and while I noticed hip pinch, nothing that adjusting position didn't alleviate. Looking forward to getting a full hunt in. I've got lots of ideas, but this is perfect for the type of hunting I do in south la where its hot as hell most of the time.

No need for knots or stops, I can control my rotation just fine when the amsteel is under load.

I'm getting the barest of bones rc harness to go with this setup. Going from 25-30lbs with lone wolf sticks and clothing/pack/gear to 15 is fantastic.

Yup. I hunted it for the first time yesterday. I was mainly doing scouting but wanted to bring the whole setup to practice in real time.

I sat two hours, and while I noticed hip pinch, nothing that adjusting position didn't alleviate. Looking forward to getting a full hunt in. I've got lots of ideas, but this is perfect for the type of hunting I do in south la where its hot as hell most of the time.

No need for knots or stops, I can control my rotation just fine when the amsteel is under load.

I'm getting the barest of bones rc harness to go with this setup. Going from 25-30lbs with lone wolf sticks and clothing/pack/gear to 15 is fantastic.

What part of south La you in?

Back