• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

bringing kids up hunting

swapfox1862

i have been a public land hunter my whole life .iam the most sent an noise worried person in the woods .my daughter just turned 9 an she loves to hunt she has only been a hand full of times when she was younger when i would take her to my dads lease ...well she wanted to hunt this year so i got on a lease for her an we went this past weekend till tuesday an this was some of the hardest hunting i have ever done in my life she can not sit still for over 2.5 seconds an stay quiet for longer than 5 sececonds ...then i thaught i had it figured out she wanted to nap so i was like the answer lol nope she snoares loader than a hold man ....when she naped sunday moring till 9 am in the stand 15 min later a big doe walked out at the end of the lane 130 yards an she spined her an man her reaction scared me i didnt think she ever would want to shoot a deer again ...i quicky had to finish it off with a head shot an explain to her the whole thing .we hunted again monday an nothing monday moring we went to a fresh clear cut monday afternoon an about at 430 a spike walked out at 60 yards an she smoked him an blew his heart up he ran 10 yards an droped an she was the happest kid in the world ....i couldnt be more proud of her
461ea6f97f05db0b73edf651c1d87524.jpg
9fdf379b1580fa1747ab59025504ff83.jpg
0120bde58639bea8228350f4c95ea583.jpg
4330d171428b93ca4c93813bd6ed2d1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Awesome, congrats! I'm looking forward to those moments with both my boys.

thanks an i t was great man ....thaught i had messed up bad tho with the first one

They'll drive you crazy! BUT .. the only way to teach them is to TEACH them! With 3 girls and 2 boys myself, it's been a challenge! But wouldn't change a thing! Congratulations and here's to many more!

thanks an i t was great man ....thaught i had messed up bad tho with the first one

I think you're good, I see smiles in all those pictures!

Just out of complete curiosity, why start her out with an AR? (guessing the adjustability of the butt stock?)

Congrats to you both. My oldest son could sit still and quiet for hours when he was young but, my younger son is a lot like your daughter. He can't sit still or be quiet for more then a few minutes. I told him last time we hunted that he was going to make a lot better rifle hunter then bow hunter because deer don't have to be as close with a gun so he doesn't have to be as quiet. :)

Congrats to you both. My oldest son could sit still and quiet for hours when he was young but, my younger son is a lot like your daughter. He can't sit still or be quiet for more then a few minutes. I told him last time we hunted that he was going to make a lot better rifle hunter then bow hunter because deer don't have to be as close with a gun so he doesn't have to be as quiet. :)
Thaats the 1 reason I still have a popup blind!ar least they still be able to finick a bit! :)

I think you're good, I see smiles in all those pictures!

Just out of complete curiosity, why start her out with an AR? (guessing the adjustability of the butt stock?)
that was the main reason she had shoot it a good bit when i had the 223 upper on it so i just ordered a upper a 7.62x39 upper for it an it has no recoil ....was nervous about the round but did great work on them

that was the main reason she had shoot it a good bit when i had the 223 upper on it so i just ordered a upper a 7.62x39 upper for it an it has no recoil ....was nervous about the round but did great work on them

Cool, I always forget how easy it is to change out uppers. Just not a lot of people in the woods areound here with them, but the versatility and adjustability makes sense!

Mine hunts with a 300 blackout. He just started sitting by himself this year in a ground blind. Next year it’s going to be a different gun. It’s just too difficult to load and unload quietly and he isn’t climbing any trees loaded. I feel the same way about kids and lever actions. He’s getting something bolt action with detachable mag.

Oh btw @swapfox1862 i gave up on scent control. I’ve had enough success with it but not sure I could pull it off with two in the tree. Ground blinds allow a little movement. I’d prefer to just hunt over 25’ but my sons happy place is 12-15 feet.

Lol, some kids are definitely quieter than others. I thanked my dad a few years ago for taking me hunting as a kid after I spent a rather frustrating day in the woods with a squirmy midget. He chuckled and told me that I was always super into it and would sit for hours if he told me that's what would make the deer show up. And then he said, "now your sisters..." and just shook his head.

Back