• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadhead not seating in insert

justwcc

I recently bought a set of iron will single bevels and am having issues threading them into the ethics SS inserts I have in my arrows. The theads on the broadhead bottom out in the inserts with about two or three turns from seating. Any advice on how to remedy this.

Personally, I would contact Ethics. They seem to be good, stand-up people. Hopefully can help fix the problem

Thread broadhead until it stops. Measure gap, cut gap measurement off the threaded shank, use a 8/32 die to repair threads, apply antisez or bow wax to threads, thread till tight, use broadhead wrench to snuggle it down good, apply vaseline to metal components to help ease the sting of insertion for the deer.

Or call somebody and wait on stuff in the mail

anybody know if the bottom of an ethics insert is open? If so, I bet there's glue in the bottom keeping the BH from screwing in all the way

anybody know if the bottom of an ethics insert is open? If so, I bet there's glue in the bottom keeping the BH from screwing in all the way
My inserts from them have a blind hole, not open..no glue..solid stainless. It would be easier to change the broadhead threads than drill out the insert IMO

My inserts from them have a blind hole, not open..no glue..solid stainless. It would be easier to change the broadhead threads than drill out the insert IMO
Gotcha. Seemed too easy but figured it was worth putting it out there.

I'd vote for nipping the excess assuming you've tried all your arrows to eliminate them as the issue. Just use something that cuts clean. Don't want to use pliers. Touching up threads isnt hard.

Did they come with outserts? I have ethics insert/outsert combos and the broadhead will not seat all the way without the outsert to create the proper spacing. The ethics inserts I have and use now do not come with the outserts and have never had an issue. Maybe they sent the wrong inserts? Hit them up I’m sure they’ll fix it.

Check to see if its thread is almost near bottom or large amount from the hole bottom. Maybe the tap did not get to depth required or a tooth chipped not completing the thread.

Last edited:
Does it do that with all the other inserts or just the one?

It's a blind hole....the tap would just bottom out. He would have to drill it out deeper with #29 bit first, then run a tap to increase thread depth

I meant to just chase the threads to clean out any bur, not tap them deeper.

I thought he was describing an issue with a single insert but it sounds like he means all his heads are not fully seating.

I like to run a couple of throwing stars in my dump pouch in case the arrows I’m running have an issue while I’m runnin and gunnin.
You can lighten them up by drilling holes in them.

So I just looked at my IW single bevel that I had with me vs cuttthroats and magnus stingers. It appears the IW is at least 1/8th inch longer on the treads.

Back