• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadheads for elk?

jakhammer

Nov 26, 2020
Question for those of you who are elk hunters. What broadheads do you like and why? Are any of you shooting mechanicals?

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
I think any good fixed blade that you can get to fly perfectly will work. A 2 blade broadhead like Iron Wills, Cutthroats, etc will be best for penetration. I am going to be trying the 1 inch version of Tooth of the Arrow broadhead. If those don't fly well, I'll try Iron Wills.

Spend the extra time to properly tune your bow and bare shaft tuning really really helps to get your best arrow flight. Properly timing your cams is really important as well.

I would shy away from mechanicals but that is just my opinion. I know some guys use them and have good success with elk. I have used them and had great success on whitetails. I just think elk are in a league above whitetails and a fixed blade should be used.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
I am certainly not the voice of experience on killing elk as I have only killed one. I killed it with a G5 Deadmeat rear deploy mechanical. The shot was a pretty fair quarter and probably travelled 2/3rds of the body length of the elk. We picked the arrow up 10 yards on the other side of where the elk was at the shot. She went about 70 and was down. That said, the above advice to stay with COC or fixed heads is sound as is the post from Homebrew about having your bow and arrow setup as tuned as possible.