• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buck Bedding Near Human Activity

Hunter260

Sep 14, 2019
Ash Flat, AR
I wanted to talk about how bucks set up to bed in parcels that are relatively small and/or have a lot of human activity. I’ve got a few stories about bucks I’ve seen bedded, but wanted some more info from hunters who have a lot of experience finding buck beds. I hunt a lot of parcels less than 40 acres love those weird setups.

I live pretty far out in the country and I’m the last house on my dirt road. Behind the house there’s 40 acres of mostly woods and then a dirt road and it’s cattle pastures. My landlord who owns the land likes to hunt and has gone through the old school route of putting a 2 acre food plot dead in the middle of the property and vowing never to shoot a doe. Basically the entire property is a doe factory. We’ve got a ton of them here, and a few immature bucks run with them. About 50 feet To the east of my house is a huge bank to the neighbors big pond. It’s easily 60 feet tall and has pretty thick cover. More than once, mostly in late season when the woods aren’t as thick I’ve stepped out of the door and seen bucks stand up from their beds on the ridge. They have a great view of the house and I know they’re just sitting there watching me.

Another time, the veterinarian I worked for and I were going to a clients deer farm to look at his herd of deer. Near the main pen where the deer are worked, trailered, people park and all the main human activity is always taking place there is a large ridge with decent cover. Again in late season when the cover was not as thick we pulled into the lot and saw a buck that easily would have scored 160 bedded on the ridge. It was a true giant less than 100 yards away. We looked at him for 15-20 minutes and he never even stood. We even thought he must have been a domestic deer that had escaped but all of the clients deer were accounted for.

So has anyone else seen this activity out of bucks? Especially mature bucks. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to set up 100 yards from a parking lot and not feel stupid, but I may give it a go if I feel like a buck will bed there.

Reactions: Bach55

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
I was driving down by the beach in my area with my father a few years ago and he goes, back up there's a buck right there. I'm like, no way its all houses, you're seeing s***.

He goes, back up, I'm telling you.

So I back up. The brush between houses is no more than a hedge row in a very cluttered fishing village. This guy had a 45 degree embankment off his back lawn dropping off to the lobster pound.

Needless to say, this guy was dumping his grass clippings down that embankment, RIGHT ONTO A 150" BUCK... He didn't move a MUSCLE. The guy walked back up, put the bag on the mower, fired it back up and all the buck did was rotate his ears and continue chewing his cud...

This is what started my obsession with tight quarters coastal hunting!

Hunter260

Sep 14, 2019
Ash Flat, AR
I was driving down by the beach in my area with my father a few years ago and he goes, back up there's a buck right there. I'm like, no way its all houses, you're seeing s***.

He goes, back up, I'm telling you.

So I back up. The brush between houses is no more than a hedge row in a very cluttered fishing village. This guy had a 45 degree embankment off his back lawn dropping off to the lobster pound.

Needless to say, this guy was dumping his grass clippings down that embankment, RIGHT ONTO A 150" BUCK... He didn't move a MUSCLE. The guy walked back up, put the bag on the mower, fired it back up and all the buck did was rotate his ears and continue chewing his cud...

This is what started my obsession with tight quarters coastal hunting!
Have you made any sets on these weird little bedding areas??

KYHunter

Jan 20, 2018
Happens often. While in dental school in Louisville a lot of the faculty would show me pictures of big bucks bedding in their backyards out in the ritzy suburbs.
I also would regularly observe a bachelor group of about a dozen bucks eating behind the baseball fields at the local park. They are bedding between a driving range and an interstate. They get really comfortable with people.

Now that I’m out of the city I see less of it but on one of the farms I hunt now there is consistent buck bedding on a corner of the woods with a direct line of sight to the pull-in And the road. This is a 250 acre farm with plenty of space but there is consistent bedding in this location which allows them to observe the farmer and hunters coming and going.

Reactions: Hunter260

Hunter260

Sep 14, 2019
Ash Flat, AR
Happens often. While in dental school in Louisville a lot of the faculty would show me pictures of big bucks bedding in their backyards out in the ritzy suburbs.
I also would regularly observe a bachelor group of about a dozen bucks eating behind the baseball fields at the local park. They get really comfortable with people.

Now that I’m out of the city I see less of it but on one of the farms I hunt now there is consistent buck bedding on a corner of the woods with a direct line of sight to the pull-in And the road. This is a 250 acre farm with plenty of space but there is consistent bedding in this location which allows them to observe the farmer and hunters coming and going.
I’m guessing when they see a pickup with hunting decals in the window pull up they say alright all you spikes and forkys stay put us big boys are goin to the neighbors

• Haha
Reactions: Exhumis and Topdog

KYHunter

Jan 20, 2018
I’m guessing when they see a pickup with hunting decals in the window pull up they say alright all you spikes and forkys stay put us big boys are goin to the neighbors

I’m sure it goes about like that!
It’s pretty cool tho, I typically find sheds in or around this bed. I thing crazy big but sheds nonetheless.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
I think this happens more than we realize. They don't get that big being stupid. I think they know the difference between Bob mowing the grass, and Bill out to get him. Maybe try the Hunting Beast Forum. I know Dan has talked about it a lot. They set up where they can see the Parking lot and access in the AM. Slip out the back door after you walk by.

Reactions: rhagenw

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
There's a piece of public ground that I identified bedding within a hundred yards or so of a house. I haven't gone back to that property in a few years. But I look at it on the map every year and gawk at the trail leading to the spot. One of these days I'm gonna hunt it.

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
These are the small overlooked places they seek out. When we're hunting public land and saying we want to get to those out of the way spots that no one goes to. Maybe because it's hard to get to, or a far hike in, or super thick. But these places are often right under our noses. I've hunted my busy WMA for 29 years. I used to hike up the ridge in the dark and try to get to places I thought nobody would go, and I'd find spots like that, but in the last bunch of years it seems my best spots aren't way back but closer to the edge of the road. The guys that have to drive here all hike back in to find their"secluded spots". I try to pick spots that are overlooked,(walked by) I have one of the busiest parking areas because of the trail access to the interior of the WMA. My largest buck was taken maybe a hundred yards from it. Small patches of cover that you think wouldn't be big enough to hold a deer let alone the bruisers we're looking for. If it's undisturbed it very well could be holding your best deer.
I went to a deer hunting seminar years ago. The guy who was talking said deer know if your dog is chained or loose by the distance they cover in the proximity of their house. He said that over time the deer figure out if it's safe to bed near the houses buy the way the dog moves. If the dog ranges out no good, but if the dog has a small range(chained, or fenced) then they feel safe that the dog won't be a bother. I remember thinking that it seemed a little far fetched, but I don't now. Deer can figure out where they can go to be safe. They get used to foot traffic on trails, activity in neighborhoods, the coming and goings of the normal human day. Plus as one member pointed out "they're watching us". I made a joke about it, but he's right.

Reactions: OspreyZB

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
And I want to add that some of these small plots next to houses and businesses, and in neighborhoods aren't legal to hunt, which is why there's not much traffic.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
Ask your self this. Do you kill a deer every hunt? The spots you have been hunting, are they full of close encounters with mature deer? So if the conditions seem right to hunt one of the areas give it a go. Might seem dumb at first. But if you find your self with a short drag on a nice buck. You quickly become the smartest guy in the room. What have you got to loose?
If the signs are telling you there in there. Don't ignore it. Give it a go if the conditions are right.

slonstdy

SH Member
Oct 10, 2018
I've got a nice buck from last year that I will be looking to ambush this year. He beds about 20 yds off a major highway in a park littered with hiking trails. When I spotted him last season I watched him casually walk in and out of the thick brush every time a hiker or dog walker passed by on a trail no more than 25 yds from him. It almost looked like he was playing hide and go seek with them. I think because there's so much human traffic with little to no perceived threats they don't associate us as a danger and feel comfortable being in close proximity, at least in this area. I'm sure it's the same with suburban deer living in small plots around houses. A coworker has a house on the north shore of Long Island and said he's had both bucks and does bedded on the other side of his fence in a small wooded patch between the houses. When his daughters Rottweiler comes out and runs at them they stand up and watch as the dog is two feet away on the inside of the fence barking like mad. He said after a few minutes the deer must get tired of the dogs noise and slowly walk away.

RussSommers

Jul 28, 2020
In high traffic areas, you can actually use the human activity to your advantage. The deer are accustomed to the sounds and smells. I hunt a mix of public and private. On public, I try to find an “edge” or corner of the legal ground which borders the sheltered travel corridor between the bed and food sources. Then consider the impact of humans: other hunters, nearby homeowners and their pets, landscapers, everything. I have a spot that the “neighbor“ lets their dog out at 515pm every weekday. The deer hold in a thicket and undoubtably the dog stirs them enough to move, my stand is about 150 yards From the back corner of their yard. like clockwork The dog starts barking, the deer pop up and briskly trot toward my stand, they slow down and start walking about 40 yards away, giving me just enough time to grab my bow. Damn I love that dog...

Note: bedding areas usually have a lot of exits, good thermals, decent cover but enough to where the deer can smell, hear and see what’s coming. Thickets, swamp islands, spruce/pine groves, ridges facing the predominant wind are all Potential bedding areas.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
And I want to add that some of these small plots next to houses and businesses, and in neighborhoods aren't legal to hunt, which is why there's not much traffic.
That’s true but there are a lot of places where hunting with archery equipment is allowed. There are also some that haven’t had an issue so they may not have a law against it or a policy allowing it. Then it’s best to make like a ninja and not give them a reason to ban it.

Reactions: Kurt

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
What @slonstdy said. I hunt a brewery which has constant human activity as there's a landscaping company close by also. I was out their today checking cams and such and found a buck bed with huge piles of droppings not more than 30 yards from a pond on the property where people were fishing. I believe they get used to human scent and activity and their tolerance threshold becomes pretty high.
The attached pic is of a doe group at that brewery, but I’m standing no more than 40 yards away and stood there for a good 10 minutes just watching them. They flicked their ears but just kept munching until I walked off and then they high tailed it.EB22EA99-C4BE-47D1-B54A-8C2BD02AF7A2.png

Reactions: Hunter260