• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buck down.

Gamover06

First saddle buck is in the books. Fought myself the entire way out on where to hunt. The night before i set up on a rub line with great deer sign all around. I left my sticks and podium to come back and sit today also. Wind wasnt great and i didnt see anything the night before so i really wanted to go hunt a different spot mainly do to wind. When i got there i climbed up and checked wind and thermals were rising. Guess i am not moving.

I am set up with a hay field 20 yards off to my left and in front of me is a 40 yard wide cattle lane that hasnt been used in 5 years. Nice and thick. Behind me and to my right it drops of into a wooded valley and the bottom is a 20 foot drop off to 20 foot wide gully.

I got on stand at 11 am and didnt really get settled into my saddle before i heard movement coming from my 7 oclock. Slowly looked behind me left shoulder and he was walking on a line 30 yards out. At 10 yards he could cut off to my left or come behind me. He choose to come behind me and passed 4 yards behind my tree. As i turned (left handed) to set up for a 4 oclock shot he looked up right at me...my mind the gig was up (he was 8 yards to my tree) but he kept walking. He had to swing around some trees and as he did i drew back trying to pick a big enough gap in the trees to shoot. I started to think real estate was running low. I stopped him at 22 yards (now at my 2 oclock). He was quartering away and i had a 2 foot gap between trees. I let the meat missle fly and burried it 5 ribs back and i came out infront of the opposite leg. He stubbled down hill 100 yards and i watched him jump off a 20 foot ledge at the bottom of the valley.
37643c2d6235cd3887ede967b5e93b61.jpg
f4739d7d2104d0ec1de7eb61ba17a924.jpg
6f12b68e2da3a1a1e5087434870ec163.jpg
49e49edf7b3e71f035ed6464f5b172a5.jpg
c2b9c38e970dd2e9c1455844d0d402be.jpg
e28cd73fb0c85f76e619ad68eef19eb6.jpg
a16c399b2403936d08afe3e7a9e9ff21.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What a toad buck. The big ones in my neck of the woods are 160#. I was blessed with a 150# 2 pointer this weekend from my homemade saddle. I have learned to make the “ Hunt” the trophy. There is just a greater satisfaction strumming one out of a saddle.

What a toad buck. The big ones in my neck of the woods are 160#. I was blessed with a 150# 2 pointer this weekend from my homemade saddle. I have learned to make the “ Hunt” the trophy. There is just a greater satisfaction strumming one out of a saddle.
It felt like my first deer all over again. I am in love with the saddle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys. This year I have had 3 different deer within 20 yards look right at me while in a saddle and they didn't look to long before they put there head down and kept on doing. Maybe its just me over thinking but I cant recall ever having a deer look at me and then just go on there way while sitting in a stand. It always felt like there was a stand off. I am starting to think the hanging off the side of a tree breaks up your body more with the background then camo with a dark tree trunk behind you.

Back