• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buck sighting ends a funk

jcam1841

Bear with me on this one, I've been hunting for about 10 years all with a bow. I was fairly successful when I first started. Then got married and popped out three kids which decreased the amount of time I could get out in the woods. Had a run in with brain cancer which I've beaten 7 yrs now(have talked about on here before). Started saddle hunting with limited time allowed to get in a tree. The times I can get in to the woods may not be prime times and I have handcuffed myself with only getting out on the back edge of my property, hard to travel even close by to check even my old successful spots due to family commitment. The last month and a half have been tough. I've gotten out to sit but of course the timing has sucked and mostly the weather. Four straight trips to the tree and it's rained and cold. Found myself sitting in my saddle cold, wet and miserable not seeing any deer movement questioning why I'm even hunting anymore. Was a suck feeling. Last week I was able to get out before sunrise, didn't have to worry about work or working around school drop off. About 7:30am I had a big 6 or 8Pt break the tree line and cruise right towards me. 57 yards then 47 yards. He hit 40 then tucks right into thick stuff. Never had a shot. I grunted a couple times, hit the can never phased him and never saw him again as he walked off. The first deer I've had "in bow range" since I started back after my surgery in a saddle. Just seeing him that close seemed to kick me out of that funk I felt just a few days before sitting in the rain. I know my opportunities to get in a tree won't change much with having to "Adult" every now and then. But happy to know that funk feeling is only temporary and I'll always enjoy the hunt deep down.

Sorry I'm done rambling just had to get it out of my head.

Back