• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buckstep Platform DIY

Melankm

I have been bow hunting from trees for over 50 years. Survived the handmade Baker type climber days and tried a Trophyline saddle a few years ago. I am excited to hunt this season with a AH Kite saddle. I have enjoyed reading about all the DIY projects and have learned a bunch about saddle hunting in general from this site and have incorporated several modification learned here in my bridge and tether. I decided to put together my own platform from a Summit Buckstep that was not being used. I sawed the Buckstep in half leaving a 9” post. I am using new standoffs from DanO which brings the Buckstep away from the tree a bit for more foot spacing. I decided on a high strength ratchet strap that allows me to hang off a couple of my old Ameristeps. The platform is rock solid with the strap ratcheted tight. The platform even stayed attached to the oak tree after I removed the strap. With out the ratchet strap and two steps, it weighs in at 1 lb 12 oz. Just wanted to share and say thank you for all who post so much useful information. Any suggestions or concerns would be appreciated.

3C78492C-EBC2-4283-B2CE-E5AB133CDE57.jpeg3C78492C-EBC2-4283-B2CE-E5AB133CDE57.jpeg

D8992844-1D1C-4587-93F3-09194BA6991D.jpeg

Question. Where do u get those dano offsets? I like the look of those.

And I like your platform too lol pretty dang lightweight

Anyone have a single buckstep you could part with? I'm trying to find a single and not having any luck. Thanks!

Edit: Disregard, I’m all set now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back