• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget Dry Aging?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So I've got the backstraps off of a doe "aging" in the bottom of my fridge on a wire rack. I plan of giving it about 4 weeks and seeing what we have. If I like it, I plan on getting together a designated setup for dry aging a carcass.

I'd like to potentially be able to hold 2-3 deer, cut up. I'm thinking the cheapest route would be to use the below thermostat:

Along with a cheapo craigslist freezer:

Screenshot_20191103-210556_Facebook.jpg

Seems too easy almost. Plug it all in downstairs on the patio and set the temp. Kill deer, butcher, and place in freezer. Walk away and fool with it when you're ready.

Thoughts?

This is the beauty of living in northern Michigan. I skin 'em and let hang in the back garage with the windows open. Generally have to thaw 'em out to finish butchering by the time I get around to it. :)
Yeah, not gonna happen down here. It's gonna be in the 70s all next week, and that's on the cool side for us.

High temp I saw at camp over the last five days was 42 degs. Lows are running in the high 20's. It's deer hunting weather for me!

I saw an article a few years ago that showed how to build your own walk in cooler. Your method would be cheaper and alot easier. Let us know how this works.

@Nutterbuster it just depends on what you want to do with the meat. There is really no sense in aging meat headed to the grinder. The parts I would need to age are the back straps and one or two muscle groups out of the hams. I could probably age three deer that way on one shelf but f a refrigerator.

Depending on how much space you want, a fridge (or 2) like that or a coolbot. Or kill a deer in Minnesota or Michigan around this time of year.

Curious, What's the benefit of this set up over just a cheapo fridge from Craigslist?
My thoughts were more space in most freezers, and they seem to go for less money used.

There's a 7' x 3' unit near my camp that's free if you haul it off. Hard to beat that price and that size.

Also, seems easier and more energy efficient to run something that's supposed to be below freezing at 40ish degrees. With the thermostat, the freezer would be cycling on and off.

I have my first deer 4 days in the fridge. I now have a designated deer fridge. Was better then 24 hours. Last one was 5 days, but.... It only works when the outside temp is warmer then the fridge set temp. The second deer, beings the fridge didn't run at all, the meat barely even dried out. I should've hung it. Next deer is getting a week for sure.

I used to hang overnight (if temps allowed) and cut the next day. Average 12/24 hours of hanging. This refrigerator thing is gonna be great for me.

I age all of the venison ground or not. Really helps the flavor. We have a basement fridge designated for beer and deer. 5-7 days regardless of temp outside it goes in the fridge. We used to hang in the garage on cold days but I like the idea of a fridge with a constant temp.

I’ve used a fridge to age my deer for 5-7 days on average, then butcher/package. I’ve looked into much writing about “dry” aging also. The problem with “dry aging” is loss of meat by having to trim the outside layer afterwards. Here is a link to an article by “Meateater“ that may be the way to go for some folks.

You should try wet aging. Does the same thing but doesn't get that rind. I picked up some 5 gallon food grade bucket liners on amazon. Put all the meat in there and seal them. Then leave on ice in the cooler for as long as needed. Last year I aged 4 deer for 28 days and it made a world of difference in the end. Using a cheap Walmart 165qt cooler I had to add Ice about once a week. Super easy to add too or take out when you need too just mark the bags with contents and dates. The thing I liked most is being able to butcher as I had time and not interfere with hunting or other life happenings.
Meat Eater wet aging post.

I’ve used a fridge to age my deer for 5-7 days on average, then butcher/package. I’ve looked into much writing about “dry” aging also. The problem with “dry aging” is loss of meat by having to trim the outside layer afterwards. Here is a link to an article by “Meateater“ that may be the way to go for some folks.

The amount of trim isn't huge in my experience. Although freezing to near-freezing temps may mitigate that some.

The amount of trim isn't huge in my experience. Although freezing to near-freezing temps may mitigate that some.
Same with my experiences. If you leave the silver skin on usually that's the only layer I need to peel off which is a negligible amount.

@Nutterbuster It will work!
I'll share my experience with at home dry aging: (Going on a little over a year now)
I got this device (same as linked above) from Amazon which is a temperature controller;plug the freezer into this, and this device into an outlet as normal.
$35 https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Fermentation/dp/B015E2UFGM

Set the temperature as desired, so I set it at 36*F with a variance of no more than 1 degree. Based on the temperature probe it will cycle the freezer power on/off depending on the thermometer probe.
Still working on routing the wires and cleaning up/refining the setup. Upcoming is a small fan to keep the air circulating.
Not too worried about controlling humidity at the moment.

Then I drilled an eye hook to the top to hang the carcass by the pelvis.
This is about a ~15 cubic foot freezer,(used off CL) I had to saw off the limbs and head to fit.
wahhgnGYvEPJCSv7pWMpZQePivTeRxC6DInaWuyXRdSrPp2lo-PAbTecdZk2H6fWZIEjpPxyDLNGG4FV3_-Qo_aIFihIELq5WEbJs4OQaj0S2fK6b29mafEtLoW5bLbwIVaxlvDhDotGJlPKspRTFR0IoKfBv3kRhVYAErmtXcUv5rl-3JQPC4YI-ofb0rm8Dyk0-xKCQkVfNrtuUS4qUOqzuNONkGJ5q2QLpbkgOi_uJKksBZuOHetzRgqnGa2eFxSQWqDXGob13cvHT-3FLKPoBRAU0yhgAEmiEaLDcNVgqPooz4wkk9yz11-HDQBz7DTPcYl-sXaXd-HCIDmtnCVMbFnr8HxasC_AWOSSo22WvVvHff1LK9Ju6RXqTdylQR1KRnfub1J2H08YXd3qOrdPq7cq4lcTTpLYHE9blq4Ar0kLlCQkmFhfxs4T7yVaaJQimgUdseGmgC9cFWvwpwKZd47rl0R6-mX_R_Yqamn5c6nrrOxsYTNNpojK6FKBkmwxvTLeUODJ5m_wHlI0WvIZAW2pwpgCTUTUYtmw0HJIMPxQu2vgOBYaskH6_2w5g4-LHLhVCIygWzeUlTVym9AoD8gdQygwFeIF-69GGoZ2Ml8Izhw3Li0mPr9j8v3U42dyoD_izITNIfhD4ukxCfyJcSuY-Tb57Y6L7fdAC_3FVD9bSI6bJzY=w702-h936-no

Once aged for 5-7 days I notice the silverskin peels off like masking/shipping tape once I go to butcher. It also gives me time post hunt to wind down and not have to hustle as much right away to get to breaking down and processing.

Edit: I've surprisingly had a hard time finding quality meat hooks for hanging for less than $20/shipped. The flimsy "heavy duty" ones pictured from amazon have bent under the weight and dropped the deer.

Last edited:
Y'all have got me paging through craigslist and Facebook marketplace again. Be nice to avoid the "frozen solid" stage that's hit me a few times.

@Nutterbuster It will work!
I'll share my experience with at home dry aging:
I got this device (same as linked above) from Amazon which is a temperature controller;plug the freezer into this, and this device into an outlet as normal.
$35 https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Fermentation/dp/B015E2UFGM

Set the temperature as desired, so I set it at 36*F with a variance of no more than 1 degree. Based on the temperature probe it will cycle the freezer power on/off depending on the thermometer probe.
Still working on routing the wires and cleaning up/refining the setup. Upcoming is a small fan to keep the air circulating.
Not too worried about controlling humidity at the moment.

Then I drilled an eye hook to the top to hang the carcass by the pelvis.
This is about a ~15 cubic foot freezer,(used off CL) I had to saw off the limbs and head to fit.
wahhgnGYvEPJCSv7pWMpZQePivTeRxC6DInaWuyXRdSrPp2lo-PAbTecdZk2H6fWZIEjpPxyDLNGG4FV3_-Qo_aIFihIELq5WEbJs4OQaj0S2fK6b29mafEtLoW5bLbwIVaxlvDhDotGJlPKspRTFR0IoKfBv3kRhVYAErmtXcUv5rl-3JQPC4YI-ofb0rm8Dyk0-xKCQkVfNrtuUS4qUOqzuNONkGJ5q2QLpbkgOi_uJKksBZuOHetzRgqnGa2eFxSQWqDXGob13cvHT-3FLKPoBRAU0yhgAEmiEaLDcNVgqPooz4wkk9yz11-HDQBz7DTPcYl-sXaXd-HCIDmtnCVMbFnr8HxasC_AWOSSo22WvVvHff1LK9Ju6RXqTdylQR1KRnfub1J2H08YXd3qOrdPq7cq4lcTTpLYHE9blq4Ar0kLlCQkmFhfxs4T7yVaaJQimgUdseGmgC9cFWvwpwKZd47rl0R6-mX_R_Yqamn5c6nrrOxsYTNNpojK6FKBkmwxvTLeUODJ5m_wHlI0WvIZAW2pwpgCTUTUYtmw0HJIMPxQu2vgOBYaskH6_2w5g4-LHLhVCIygWzeUlTVym9AoD8gdQygwFeIF-69GGoZ2Ml8Izhw3Li0mPr9j8v3U42dyoD_izITNIfhD4ukxCfyJcSuY-Tb57Y6L7fdAC_3FVD9bSI6bJzY=w702-h936-no

Once aged for 5-7 days I notice the silverskin peels off like masking/shipping tape once I go to butcher. It also gives me time post hunt to wind down and not have to hustle as much right away to get to breaking down and processing.
I like that a lot. I'm fighting the urge to message the guy on facebook who has a 7' chest freezer free for pickup...

My family in SC used an upright freezer for decades to hang deer. I always thought the end product had a better flavor.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Back