• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget Friendly Bow Press and Arrow Build Equipment?

melocal

I have had less than satisfactory experiences with two different bow shops in my area now, and so I am thinking about getting the tools needed to do fletching, cut arrows, basically build an arrow, as well as some sort of bow press. I spent a couple evenings down the youtube rabbit hole, searched a few threads on here, and I think I have an idea of what I need while keeping budget in mind. If you know of a good thread on here that already covers this, send it my way!

For a bow press I am thinking portable press with a homemade stand. As far as the stuff to build arrows, not really sure.

**Interested in suggestions on a budget conscious setup. Thanks.**

I have a portable press with one of those cheap yellow bow vices from eBay. Works just fine. Also built an arrow saw with an eBay dremel fastened to a 2x6. Plenty of tutorials on how to build one of those online.

I just started the fun myself. New baby and buying a house in two weeks made my budget small.
I bought a wall mounted bike arm on Amazon for like $35.

I have a bow master bow press.

I have a buddy with an arrow cutter so I used that on a new set of arrows but this is one I’m eyeing:
https://modulararrowsaw.com/products/modular-arrow-saw-w-dust-collector

Fletching arrows I have been using quick fletches but if I was to buy a jig I’d go with the arizona one. Someone is selling one on here for $40. [mention]supermaxx30 [/mention]I think it was and vanes too.

I’m also planning on making a draw board out of 2x6 and a boat wench.

I have picked up a few little items here and there too like string/bow level, arrow scale, bow square, arrow spinner, etc.

It can be done on the cheap. I didn’t want to spend hundreds if I sucked at doing my own stuff lol.

I use the bow master bow press as well. Works great you just need the adapters for split limbs as most new bows are split limbs.

I don't use an arrow cutter as I order them from lancaster archery and just have them cut to the desired length.

For fletching I use a bitzenburger that I found on the FB marketplace for 60 bucks. I love that thing it does a great job. You can do all kinds of different fletching with it. I current do a 4 fletch helical that I am really liking.

I bought a digital suit case weight scale for 10 bucks on eBay and I use it to check the poundage on my bow and it works perfectly.

As @Aaronpaul14 stated above I also use a arrow/bow level, small scale, bow square, arrow spinner, peep sight tool, etc. All of these items are super cheap.

You can get almost everything you need to do it yourself for the cost of one trip to the pro shop to get arrows made and a bow tune. Also, as a side note the slow motion recording on your phone works great for checking arrow flight as well. I usually record a few after I get everything tuned just to double check the arrow is flying true.

EZ Green from Last Chance. Excellent press.

I’ve been unimpressed with every arrow saw I’ve owned or used at a shop. Still looking for a really good one. Last chance just came out with a new saw but it’s $$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the Bowmaster portable press with split limb brackets.

If you already have a dremel or similar moto-tool then it's easy to make an inexpensive arrow saw. Lots of good ideas out there. Just google it. Cuts aren't perfect, but just finish ends with a squaring tool (ebay $10). I fletch with an Arizona EZ-Fletch Mini Max, but there are less expensive tools out there. Make your own draw board with a cheap boat winch.

Minimal investment and you are set up to do all your own arrow and bow work.

ArrowBuildTools3.jpg

Last edited:
EZ Green from Last Chance. Excellent press.

I’ve been unimpressed with every arrow saw I’ve owned or used at a shop. Still looking for a really good one. Last chance just came out with a new saw but it’s $$$!

Last chance new saw is absolutely amazing but probably not for home use unless you go through dozens of arrows or just want to waste money. hahaha

Also I recommend just going away from fletching completely. I shot fobs for at least the last 15 years. No issues and perfect arrow flight after a bunch of bare shaft tuning. Only drawback is you need a certain style drop away rest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Also I recommend just going away from fletching completely. I shot fobs for at least the last 15 years. No issues and perfect arrow flight after a bunch of bare shaft tuning. Only drawback is you need a certain style drop away rest.

Interesting, I will have to look into rests. I currently have a QAD drop away. What do people argue as the drawback to a fob?

Thanks to the replies so far! Definitely some ideas here that I had not come across yet, appreciate the pictures and time people have taken to respond.

Bowmaster portable press and check on youtube. Antler geeks made a video on cheap easy bow holder out of scrap wood to use with it. I dont have a saw so cant comment on that

Interesting, I will have to look into rests. I currently have a QAD drop away. What do people argue as the drawback to a fob?
They're a little heavier than fletching and do make a little noise. Start up cost is a little more but they're a time saver. They also last forever. I'm still using the original dozen I bought. I did lose one this season upon impact on the doe I shot, which is another problem.

They sometimes hit your string on shorter bows but diysportsmen has a fix for that in his YouTube channel.

Last chance new saw is absolutely amazing but probably not for home use unless you go through dozens of arrows or just want to waste money. hahaha
Wow, I don't normally sticker shock easily, but that LCA arrow saw is... pricey.

I have to agree. $580 is waaaaaayyyyyyyy too much for an arrow saw. I have a Weston 8000 RPM saw and it works just fine and I cut alot of arrow shafts. If set up right you won't have any problems.

I’ve had the 8000 saws burn out and had issues with consistency with them as well. I’d agree that $580 is crazy though. But....if it worked amazing I’d probably save up. I cut a lot of arrows for friends, not just my own.

Back