• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Building a XOP seat platform

Golferhunter

SH Member
I’m gathering up the materials to build my platform. I was wondering what size aluminum tube are you guys using? Also what grade of bolts?

Seems like most people will say 1-1/4" sq tubing or solid bar. I made an all steel one with a wheelchair footplate like Slomo's I used 1-1/4" steel square tubing ( i think it had .18" wall) way over kill and way heavy but it was all free. I used grade 5 hardware, i wanted to use grade 8 but again free.

People will say what the say and you can argue grade 5 (soft, more flex) vs. grade 8 (hard, brittle). I'm no metallurgist but in a flip down cam lock application i would rather have the bolt yield and bind before it breaks. This would be an extreme example and single shear strength for a grade 5 - 5/16" bolt is over 5grand (some tethers aren't rated for that).

I ordered some 1 1/4” tubing. I’m probably gong to use grade 8, I already have a bunch. What did you use to attach your platform to the tree? I’m torn between amsteel or a versa button with a strap with buckle.

Planning on strap and buckle on mine so I can cam it over. Using XOP standoffs.

ac3f30ba28c69bb7cfaa6fecffb86161.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Aeds151 does that cam over ok with it near the bottom like that? Do you find the top pulls away from the tree? I've always seen them more in the center to address that issue.

Shoot. Ya i uploaded wrong pic. I moved it to the dead center but I am planning on adding a versa button with amsteel as well. It still pulls away when camed and while moving to different parts of the platform. Kinda scary. I hope the versa amsteel will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a strap from a Hawk Helium climbing stick - perhaps that might be contributing to the problem. I think most are using Lone Wolf or XOP straps which are more substantial and maybe don't stretch as much. I have one of each that I'm testing and both work great.

I had a whoopie sling on the one I won at Saddlepalooza and I gave up on that crap and got the lone wolf strap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back