• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Building your own arrows

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
Do you all have any good reads or YouTube’s that could help a guy get started in this task? Also any must have products that I couldn’t live without? Thanks in advance for the info.

You want to start with carbon shafts, fletch, cut, and tip? Or you want to make wooden shafts?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

More info. What kinda arrows? Traditional? Compound? Aluminum? Carbon? Feathers? vanes? What's your goal?

You want to start with carbon shafts, fletch, cut, and tip? Or you want to make wooden shafts?

More info. What kinda arrows? Traditional? Compound? Aluminum? Carbon? Feathers? vanes? What's your goal?

Sorry folks I am making arrows for compound bow. I decided to buy a new bow this year and thought it would be even more fun to make my own arrows. Not to concerned about weight and such at this time. The lucky thing for me is I have a 31” draw and so I shouldn’t have to do much cutting. As for material I am game to try anything but honestly would like to start less expensive and work my way up. The ultimate goal would be start doing more and more of my own as opposed to buying pre-made. Just another hobby for me.

I've got an Arizona EZ Fletch, use short feathers for trad, vanes for compound. I like BLU glue for fletching and gorilla glue for inserts. Cutting carbon shafts isn't hard, but I highly reccomend a decent arrow saw if you go that route.

Arrow saw, jig, glue, arrow square and spinner is about everything you need. I also like a grain scale but not needed. Arizona EZ Fletch is very easy and fast. You will be limited on what you can do with it but the jig is solid. A Bitzenbuger will give more fletching options but there is a little learning curve and set up.

Save money on buying an arrow saw and use a dremel for cutting and buy an arrow squaring device to clean and square up the ends.
As far as installing insert goes, I swear by the blue cool melt glue. I've never had an insert loosen or pull out, not even while removing arrows that get stuck in targets, whether rag bags or foam. And it makes for easy insert removal if you decide to alter your arrow length.

+1 For the Arizona EZ Fletch , can get a pack of 100 blazer vanes for $15 and then just figure out what inserts you want or just use stock ones

Little tip I found was to use a potato peeler as a cheap alternative to remove old vanes

I learned the most from the ranch fairy mainly because he speaks my language and breaks it down for a dummy like me to understand....u don't have to build a heavy arrow to benefit from his arrow builds and tuning process.... apparently he annoys a bunch of people so be prepared
Just like with pretty much any task....the prep work is super important....square both ends, scuff inside for good glue adhesion, clean everything twice

Last edited:
I get my arrows pre cut. I have the EZ mini fletch and Blazer vanes. But I've been using Zinger fletchings. I use JB weld for my inserts. Loctite Control Gel for vanes. My inserts are 100 grain brass from 3 Rivers Archery. It's not too difficult. More convenient than going to the archery shop to get refletched.

I bought a squaring jig off estsy for like 10$. Built a crude saw using my dremel. I also bought zinger fletchings so I didn't need a jig. No complaints so far. Only issue I have with the zingers is they don't like contact with hard things when it's cold outside.

Do I really need a saw? With my draw length wouldn’t it just make sense to keep the ends square and shoot 32” ?

Do I really need a saw? With my draw length wouldn’t it just make sense to keep the ends square and shoot 32” ?
I have the same DL & mine are cut down…. I’d recommend just buy bareshafts & have them cut down where you buy them. Most places do so for about .50c a pc would take a lot of arrows to get to arrow saw saving you anything. I second the below jig!!

So I was talked into buying the Bitzenburg jig lol. I appreciate the responses that’s why I like reading these boards lots of knowledge and help Thank you.

Last edited:
John Dudley has some good arrow building vids on his Nockon Archery channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s got a great video where he shows how to apply wraps , talks about different glue for tipping/tailing vs vane adhesion. It’s really not hard good visit with the wife living room activity…

@Sandor27

Last edited:
Back