• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman silent approach steps + DanO OCB straps = awesome

philsanchez76

SH Member
After coming to the easy conclusion that lugging 4 sticks around the woods sucks, I bought silent approach steps on the classifies here and have been practicing for last couple of weeks. I liked everything about them except how on certain trees with rough bark they would slip a lot and scare the crap out of me on my way down. After Nutterbusters video on squirrel steps as a climbing method, I Sprung for the ocb’s that DanO sells and now I’ve got a 20 ft climbing solution that weights about 6 pounds (give or take a few oz) and is rock solid under my 200 pound frame. Also using his ocb for ring of steps. 0EB42E4B-C065-4A55-9325-80D825BF4D3F.png3F614FB3-CE21-41EE-B61B-AF6BAAE47BE4.png6A3FB24E-F0C1-4C69-A6B6-87C62614C3AE.png

How many does it take to get to 20ft? Also, what do you use to hold them as you climb? A bigger dump pouch or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many does it take to get to 20ft? Also, what do you use to hold them as you climb? A bigger dump pouch or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah US military dump pouch straps onto Molle webbing and carries 10 steps with 10 ocb straps, ROS (which is 6 steps plus the ocb strap) and my bow and backpack holder. 10 steps plus the ros gets me pretty consistently at 20 ft. 36EEC0FE-EFC2-4504-85DE-1DBF65033840.png

I’ve been wondering if this would be better than sticks. I just hate the thought of having to hang 10 steps instead of 4 sticks.

That’s what kept me away at first too. I can hang 10 steps in about 10 minutes vs 4 sticks in maybe 5-6. It’s not much time savings vs the packability you get.

Looks like you're wearing Pronghorns? If so I have the same boots. How do they feel on the steps? Plenty of purchase?

Looks like you're wearing Pronghorns? If so I have the same boots. How do they feel on the steps? Plenty of purchase?

Good eye. Yes those are Pronghorns. As long as I am contacting 2 steps at once grip is great. If I am doing an extreme pivot to where I am only on one step, I can feel some slow slippage. Like if I stayed in that position for longer than 30 seconds the boat may lose grip and slip off. My goal is to grab 2 more steps so if I decide to hunt a slightly larger tree I have enough steps to space them appropriately.

Cool thanks for reporting back. I had the silent approach but got tired of messing with the other straps, never thought to try ocb's. Thanks for posting this, I might try them again.

Cool thanks for reporting back. I had the silent approach but got tired of messing with the other straps, never thought to try ocb's. Thanks for posting this, I might try them again.

Absolutely man. The original straps sucked for sure. OCBs are a game changer. Once you work out your process for installing each strap they are just as fast as any other strap I’ve tried.

Back