• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Butt warmer

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
So Ive been anxiously awaiting the warmer from Tethrd and worried it would come by the time I needed it. I went on a search and found these German military surplus over pants...new...
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ary-surplus-pants-liners-3-pack-new?a=1545294
They are only about $10 per piece, they only come in XL which is perfect for wearing over my Kestrel.
The reach-thru pockets are perfect for accessing the lineman loops and the bridge slips right out the top. The have side zips so they can be put on over boots, but I decided to experiment and cut one just above the knees...my sweet wife hemmed them with a slot to slip shock cord if I decide I want an elastic hem.
I like the fact that these will be full, wrap-around and probably warmer than just a cover over the back.
For 10 bucks, I thought they were worth a try. Just thought I would share this find.

Sweet! I have always worn my down bibs over my harness in the past and unzipped the fly to clip into the belay loop. the reach through pockets look great!

Sweet! I have always worn my down bibs over my harness in the past and unzipped the fly to clip into the belay loop. the reach through pockets look great!
Haven't tested them in the woods yet, but I am optimistic about them. Although I doubt they will be as warm as your down bibs.
Wish I had them right now. Felt warm when I left the house. Now wind is over 30mph and temps are dropping. Chill is setting in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haven't tested them in the woods yet, but I am optimistic about them. Although I doubt they will be as warm as your down bibs.
Wish I had them right now. Felt warm when I left the house. Now wind is over 30mph and temps are dropping. Chill is setting in.

Ugh, 40 and rainy here, last day of bow and I"m sitting in my office. Been the worst bow season weather wise in a LOONG time... Good luck out there.

Ugh, 40 and rainy here, last day of bow and I"m sitting in my office. Been the worst bow season weather wise in a LOONG time... Good luck out there.
LAST DAY OF THE SEASON?? That sucks.
I remember when Pa went out at the end of October...just when things were getting good. Now my zone is open into December.

We have a week off, then rifle for 2 weeks, then muzzloader/late bow for 2 weeks. The rut seems really late this year and it was a poor early bow season :-(

yeah, it's been bad enough I pulled out my popup blind and fixed one of the poles incase it is doing this stuff openning weeknd of rifle...Granted I'll just fall asleep in the blind..

Those over pants sound like a great idea Tom. Let us know how they work for you? I think it was you that suggested the Alpaca socks that I purchased I haven't used them yet.

Those over pants sound like a great idea Tom. Let us know how they work for you? I think it was you that suggested the Alpaca socks that I purchased I haven't used them yet.
Will do. Thought I would mention those pants now. For the price, I thought some of you guys might want to jump on them asap instead of waiting for my report. I actually ordered 3 more pair. German military surplus...its probably something that will go away and be unavailable some day...like all cool stuff. Even if they don't work out well for the saddle, they are still nice. I'm positive I will find other uses for them, if they don't work out for saddles...but I think they will be great. They might need another sewing mod or 2. Won't decide that until I use them several times.

Yeah you're right. If I hesitate they will be gone when I make up my mind. They are cheap enough. Thanks

Yeah you're right. If I hesitate they will be gone when I make up my mind. They are cheap enough. Thanks
We cut one pair just above the leg zippers and hemmed it. I doubt I would walk with them full length...not around here, anyway. The multi flora rose would shred them.
I'm thinking a short version will stuff in a pack nicely and easily slip on over boots and knee pads...I tried that at home and it was fine. I might try wearing the shorties while walking just to see how it works out. If it doesn't, then I will slip them on at the tree.

Ordered. I think they will be perfect to carry in the pack and put on if or when I get cold. Thanks again.

Ordered. I think they will be perfect to carry in the pack and put on if or when I get cold. Thanks again.
You bet. Hey, I haven't hunted in them yet...the jury is still out on them.
But military surplus?? I figure they should be at least decent.

Okay...today is the 1st really cold day here and the verdict is in on the over pants. They are the bomb.
$20 for a 3 pack...you won't be sorry.
I wore them on the walk in with no problems but I wouldnt wear them to walk thru multi flora rose type stuff.
They roll up and fit nicely in my muff for transport.
I did cut mine to just above the knee but you could wear them full length I suppose.
They only come in 1 size from the link above...and they fit over my Kestrel great, but I know there are some plus sized guys on this forum so size could be an issue for big dudes.
For me, these are one of the best saddle add-ons I've purchased. Get some.

Im just out taking down some stands today. Thought I would try them out. Its the only part of me that isn't chilled.
They are warmer than I expected.
ae0ca46fc764619f4799e93e820c00ed.jpg

I have something similar in both top and bottoms. Mine are liners as the end of the sleeves have a piece of material that has a button hole in it to secure in a jacket. I wear mine when it gets colder as an added insulation layer under my camo. I see something similar for $25, but Im certain I didnt pay more than $25 for both when I bought mine. Some searching will find lower pricing Im sure.

joes army navy

I have something similar in both top and bottoms. Mine are liners as the end of the sleeves have a piece of material that has a button hole in it to secure in a jacket. I wear mine when it gets colder as an added insulation layer under my camo. I see something similar for $25, but Im certain I didnt pay more than $25 for both when I bought mine. Some searching will find lower pricing Im sure.

joes army navy
The thing about the ones I got is that they work while wearing them OVER THE SADDLE. Wearing them over the saddle instead of under it eliminates the loss of R value from saddle compression.
I've seen the ones I got described as over pants and also as pant liners. I tend to think they were designed to be worn UNDER pants, but the way I'm using them is awesome.
Can't yet say how well they work or not with a Mantis...my buddy will test them tomorrow with his Mantis. I tested them with a Kestrel and I absolutely love them.

Tom, how do you keep them up? Do they fasten to your Kestrel or what? They do look warm.

Back