• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buy a new saddle or make a fleece one?

Huntaholic

Hey I was looking for some advice from y’all Saddle hunters! Should I get a new saddle or should I just make a fleece one with a rock climbing harness I’m 18 years old and work full-time but money still doesn’t grow on trees and as far as comfort is does it make a difference?

I'd say start buying your kit now. Get things that last and pick good/quality gear. By the time you are 25-30 you will have a sweet arsenal of gear. Im assuming at 18 you most likely don't have a mortgage, kids, or any other major monthly expenses. I still have a lot of the stuff I bought 10 years ago. Quality hunting gear holds up well over time if you take care of it. Buy once cry once!

I bought a sit drag and used it with a safety belt. Before I added the belt I combined it with a RCH.
I had the girth hitch on a fleece saddle come undone in the house hanging from a pullup bar. Before that, I used it with a RCH to hunt once. Managing two things was a PITA, RCH and fleece saddle..

Last edited:
If comfort and low cost are your main considerations, go with the fleece saddle and a rock harness. Lot's of guys have hunted that way for quite a few years.

I bought a sit drag and used it with a safety belt. Before I added the belt I combined it with a RCH.
I had the girth hitch on a fleece saddle come undone in the house hanging from a pullup bar. Before that, I used it with a RCH to hunt once. Managing two things was a PITA.
What do you use those wiregates for?

I agree with @Patriot38 since you don't have many responsibilities right now(not like you will when you have a family) go ahead and purchase all the good long lasting gear and take care of it and you won't be sorry!!! But the fleece saddle is the most comfortable saddle to date so there's that!!!

I try to only carry locking biners, just so everything is up to the same standard.
I could remove the gates and still do what I want. I really use them as hooks. They were about $4 each on sale. They could help me get down the tree if a locking biner failed.

I could remove the gates and still do what I want. I really use them as hooks. They were about $4 each on sale. They could help me get down the tree if a locking biner failed.
Yeah that's why i make sure everything i carry is either load rated or has a compelling reason why it isn't. I mostly use lockers as hangers, but do have a couple of small wiregates as well.

If you back up the fleece saddle with a rock climbing harness which adds to the cost. just buy a recon instead. $149.
Just my opinion. I never trusted my fleece saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!!
If you make a fleece saddle, I would suggest sewing a loop in the fleece to make it less likely to come undone. I believed 100% what I was told. I was wrong.
I was considering this but never tried it.

Last edited:
I built my own saddle, it looks good, feels good and I've never had a stitch come loose but in the back of my mind I always wonder what if..... and therefore wear a rock climbing harness. It's not a big deal wearing a Xtra harness but it's wasteful. So with that said I would buy the best commercial saddle you can afford. Do it right the first time.

Back