• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buying a Used Trophyline Stealth TS9 Saddle

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
Hi Everyone,

I've been really interested in trying and buying a tree saddle for a few years now, but haven't pulled the trigger for a number of reasons. A used one has hit the classifieds about an hour from me in a price that is reasonable, and I have a couple of questions.

Here's the description:
"Trophy Line Tree Saddle model TS9 padded, in Mossy Oak Camo, size Large - fits waste 35-42. Build date says 2005, used a couple times. Saddle looks brand new. This saddle is no longer made and can be hard to find. It is an excellent, comfortable alternative to a tree stand."

From the pictures it does look to be in excellent condition, but my questions are as follows:

1) This saddle is approaching tens years old. Is there any concern for equipment failure at that age? (ie: strap failure, stitching, etc.)

2) I'm 6'4", 235lbs, and wear size 36-38 waist. When I layer up I am probably closer to a 40W with some insulated gear. Is this saddle sized right for my body type? Or would I need a larger one?

3) Is there anything else I should be concerned with? Any questions I should ask the previous owner? I've never used or seen in person anyone using a tree saddle, so I don't have anyone to ask about the saddle.

4) Asking price is $200. Is this reasonable for this saddle? I know how much the newer saddles go for (guidos web, new tribe aero hunter) but used ones seem to be pretty rare these days, and the ebay prices vary considerably ($200-400).

Any input is most appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
d_rek

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Does it have the Tree Strap and a Linesman's belt?

Be aware of the cost of extras.
Also know that the NewTribe is more structured (more comfortable but heavier and bulkier) than the Tree Saddle and less so than the Guido's Web.

$100 is $100 (saved) but don't get it just because it is a good deal.
Especially if you have reservations about anything after your questions are answered here.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
justsomedude said:
Does it have the Tree Strap and a Linesman's belt?

Be aware of the cost of extras.
Also know that the NewTribe is more structured (more comfortable but heavier and bulkier) than the Tree Saddle and less so than the Guido's Web.

$100 is $100 (saved) but don't get it just because it is a good deal.
Especially if you have reservations about anything after your questions are answered here.

I asked the seller about the strap and belts and this was his response:
"The strap to wrap around the tree is attached to the saddled and the linemans belt has a pouch that it is stored in that is attached to the saddle as well. It's basically brand new, I only used it 3 times."

vitalinvader

May 16, 2014
I would not go any bigger. I'm 6 ft and 220 with a 36" waist and I use a med. Most people say it's better to be on the small side and I agree. I have the tree saddle, evolution and Guido. All have there ups and downs. I'm sure you can get your money back out of it. Good luck.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
Seller is going to send me additional pictures tonight. I'm more or less sold though, and will probably pick it up. Thanks for the feedback.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Welcome to the site!

If you get the pictures and would like to post them here or pm them to me I will take a look and see what I think. For starters, $200 is a pretty good price considering what they have been going for lately. I believe the TS-9 was one of the earlier versions and in my opinion they made some good improvements in the later versions. That being said for that price it would probably be a good buy to get you into saddle hunting and I don't think you would have any regrets. It should last for a long time if it is taken care of, so if it is in good condition you should be good. My only questions would be if it includes both the lineman's belt and tree strap, and from your second post it looks like it does. I think a L would probably fit you perfect. So I would say if you're looking to save a little money and get into saddle hunting, go for it! If you're willing to spend an extra few bucks (ok maybe a little more) up front, I would recommend looking at the new tribe evolution.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
That would be awesome! I'll PM you the pics later. Thanks! I'm not opposed to buying a new one but I seem to blow through my hunting budget rather quickly each year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
d_rek said:
That would be awesome! I'll PM you the pics later. Thanks! I'm not opposed to buying a new one but I seem to blow through my hunting budget rather quickly each year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem! Hunting budget... what is that??? I stopped setting a budget ;)

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
So I pulled the trigger and bought the used saddle. It is in excellent condition and looks barely used. Even came with original packaging and inserts!

Interestingly enough, the seller was an old acquaintance of a Mr. John Eberhart, whom i'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. :D

Can't wait to start practicing and getting comfortable with my saddle!

Thanks for all who replied!

Regards,
d_rek

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Best of luck! We are here if you have any questions! :D

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
If you decide you don't like it, let me know and I'll buy it from you. I want to give one to my brother for Christmas. HOWEVER, give it at least 3-4 hangs and I have no doubt you will fall in love with saddle hunting.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
g2outdoors said:
If you decide you don't like it, let me know and I'll buy it from you. I want to give one to my brother for Christmas. HOWEVER, give it at least 3-4 hangs and I have no doubt you will fall in love with saddle hunting.
FYI there is a leather saddle for sale in the classifieds right now.