• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cabelas stand hunter extreme

I have the stand hunter extreme coveralls. I love them. They are a little bulky but most cold weather gear is and they do a good job. I bought the sitka fanatic bibs and jacket this year. The warmth is probably pretty comparable. I've sat down to zero in the stand hunters when layered up. The sitka is a little less bulky but it still adds up.

I have the coveralls as well. A fantastically made garment and super warm. I have been very satisfied with it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is it's own attached stuff sack. I have trouble getting it back in sometimes but that may be iser error.

Red squirrel you think the stand hunter would work good with the kestrel then? It's a lot of money, but everyone swears by it's warmth value.

Red squirrel you think the stand hunter would work good with the kestrel then? It's a lot of money, but everyone swears by it's warmth value.
I think so. I wore the stand hunter with my mesh tree saddle. The whole thing is just bulkier than early season stuff. You really just need to take it out and practice with it and develop a system with it. When I hunt it that much heavy clothing I use a strap to hold my left chest out of the way because it will poof out and hit my string. The stand hunter does go on a pretty good sale from time to time so keep your eyes open.

I had the stand hunter set and upgraded to Sitka. I originally bought the incinerator set for its packability but they were noisy. Since then I bought the fanatic set and have been really happy.

All of them work in a saddle it's just bulkier.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agree with the above. The heavyweight wool is fine. It's just well, heavy. I hunt a fair amount in sub zero temperatures and I found the bulk to be an issue. If it's wool it works. That simple.

That being said, at the end of season, after a competitive race between sitka and first lite, I finally settled on a first lite going forward. I found it was a little quieter in extreme cold. And I preferred the camo choices from First Lite. Both Sitka and First Lite are fantastic in the tree with less bulk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just and FYI. After Xmas the stand hunter bibs were on sale for 50% off. My father bought a pair and loves them. Not sure if they sale is still going on though.

Agree with the above. The heavyweight wool is fine. It's just well, heavy. I hunt a fair amount in sub zero temperatures and I found the bulk to be an issue. If it's wool it works. That simple.

That being said, at the end of season, after a competitive race between sitka and first lite, I finally settled on a first lite going forward. I found it was a little quieter in extreme cold. And I preferred the camo choices from First Lite. Both Sitka and First Lite are fantastic in the tree with less bulk.

I have a lot of Sitka but tried the first lite this year. I was impressed, it is really good stuff. If I didn't have such a sound investment in Sitka already I'd try more. I don't think I have many complaints about either though.
I wore the first lite down jacket and puffy pants in a few really cold sits and never got cold and I didn't die walking in them. That's my only complaint with the Sitka fanatic, you have to pack it in or you will die of heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ive got the cabelas stand hunter extreme bibs/ parka and they are the warmest clothing ever made I think.

Also the bulkiest. I didn't pull mine out this year but had compression sacks lined up to shoulder them in with and change into close to the tree.

They aren't really terrible to climb with because they slim down a bit when theyre all zipped up...but walking, I'm thinking compression sacks are the way to go

I had the opportunity to compare sitka and first lite in sub zero temperatures. The sitka definitely is a bit more crunchy. I think the sitka may be a hair quieter for southern cold. It was a tough decision. Honestly, if I liked Sitkas camo more, I may have went with Sitka. It was that close. It has a bit more of an open pattern which I like. I was very tempted to go with ASAP. It works awesome in the tree but it I've had issues at ground level having the pattern be to open and movement is more readily apparent even with poor whitetail sight. I though FL fusion struck a good compromise. Like I said, both incredibly awesome.

I have a lot of Sitka but tried the first lite this year. I was impressed, it is really good stuff. If I didn't have such a sound investment in Sitka already I'd try more. I don't think I have many complaints about either though.
I wore the first lite down jacket and puffy pants in a few really cold sits and never got cold and I didn't die walking in them. That's my only complaint with the Sitka fanatic, you have to pack it in or you will die of heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:astonished:Oh no- another thing I need. I hunt a lot of cold weather climate with my Heater Body Bag. That will not be a solution any longer. No way I will be able to manage the Bag in a saddle. I don't like coveralls. Bib and jacket work better for me.
Which First light are you guys using.
I also did see the Cabelas Stand Hunters at a store on sale for 50% ish off. When I saw that I was temped to try coveralls again....sry Imthere..ouch:weary:
I will always pack my cold weather clothing in. The days of a full body sweat due to too much clothing are over...:coldsweat:

cabelas stand hunter extremes come in bibs/parka/jacket and coveralls. Pack it all in, climb in your bibs, pull up your parka

And they go on sale like this every year. Bought mine 50% off 3 or 4 years ago

Who knows if it will last though with bass pro shops running things now

Last edited:
cabelas stand hunter extremes come in bibs/parka/jacket and coveralls. Pack it all in, climb in your bibs, pull up your parka

And they go on sale like this every year. Bought mine 50% off 3 or 4 years ago

Who knows if it will last with bass pro shops running things now
I'm not seeing the stand hunter bibs and jackets on their website just the coveralls...discontinued ?

I'm not seeing the stand hunter bibs and jackets on their website just the coveralls...discontinued ?
damn it looks that way....damn you bps

Those were some nice cold weather gear options. Hopefully bps isn't slowly phasing the cabelas line out to push redhead junk

:astonished:Oh no- another thing I need. I hunt a lot of cold weather climate with my Heater Body Bag. That will not be a solution any longer. No way I will be able to manage the Bag in a saddle. I don't like coveralls. Bib and jacket work better for me.
Which First light are you guys using.
I also did see the Cabelas Stand Hunters at a store on sale for 50% ish off. When I saw that I was temped to try coveralls again....sry Imthere..ouch:weary:
I will always pack my cold weather clothing in. The days of a full body sweat due to too much clothing are over...:coldsweat:
Honestly, there gets to a point in sub zero temps when the HBS is the only option. It's a harsh reality. I don't think even my fancy camo will beat the HBS. Iwom sucks

I used a $30 Walmart sleeping bag this year and it was excellent. I could stay out in the cold all day but I don’t know if I could have maneuvered around if I had the chance. BassBoys I was hoping that wasn’t true that heater body suit is only option.

Sub zero this ol boy’s home sleeping. Deer don’t move well here in TN when we have extreme temp swings. If it snows here in middle Tn sleep in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I just get cold easy but 17 degree here with 20 mph wind can be some good hunting Nov 7. Just need to get better clothing.

Back