• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cain method question

FayetteKong

I plan on using the wild edge steps this year with the Cain method but I’m having a hard time with step spacing when I’m hooked into my second step I can’t reach high enough to tie the third one and so on so that when I hook into it it’s above my waist it seems that if it’s below my waist when I hook in it wants to uncam the step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes some practice to get the exact spacing down based on your arm length vs legs. I started by placing the second step and then adjusting the first step until I found the appropriate height so when I was standing on it, I could easily place the third step.

If you put the 1st one at the right height for waist level, you need to tie the second one the same distance above the 1st step as the 1st step is off the ground. Make a mental note where that step falls out, eye level, head level or higher. You have to keep them the same distance apart for the waist carabiner to work on every step on the way up. Hope that makes sense.

When you are standing on your first step , how are you tied on to your second step? I found that the closer I can get my waist to the step and tie the third step as high as I can then it’s perfect for me after I step up to the second step. That’s why I use a belt and carabiner. I’m not leaning back to far away from the tree. It makes a lot of difference. Hope this helps.

I had a carabiner hooked to my belay loop but I did notice a difference when I ran the carabiner around the main belt and shortened it up I will try climbing that way thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back