• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cain method with Welkforder belt

Bigfoot522

I purchased a Harken 150 cam cleat and installed it on my Beast stik above the button as I didn't want to remove it.
The hole spacing in the Beast stik is just a bit tight for the bolts to go in square so I took a chainsaw file and went I about half a file diameter and they fit.
I drilled an 1/8" aluminum plate on the back side and sandwiched the stik. Holds good on my little 3/16" amsteel. 1/4" would spread the cleats a little more but I'm good with it. I will keep an eye on it.
I'm going to round off the leading edge on this stik stand off where the rope contacts.

I purchased a Welkforder safety belt basic model for $37 off Amazon. The premium belt just has a wider pad is all the difference and costs $40.
I made a bridge out of 8mm accessory cord for the belt. I never been in a sit drag but dare say this thing has to be much stronger than that. Very well made, feels very secure. I personally don't intend to use a rock harness, I leave that to your own discretion.
The D rings are nice and accommodate both a lineman rope and a bridge. They are set forward enough.

The climb went just like you see in Cains video. Definitely a BIG addition to the arsenal.
With that said, I will be climbing all sorts of trees bypassing branches and the like in hope's of this being able to be THE method, not just the preferred method.
Already the belt is looking to displace my saddle. MHO

Back