• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Calling All Ameristep Users!

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So we've been getting absolutely spoilt lately with all the new goodies coming to market. I know folks' wallets are pretty light right now thanks to Tethrd, but...

Guys that like using a ring of steps are not getting any of that sweet new toy action. We're still scrounging discontinued products on the classifieds. Ameristeps work very well for our purposes, and there's some other, harder to find alternatives that some say work even better IF you can find them. But none of them are currently on the market.

This sucks.

The idea of a new step has been kicked around a bit on some different threads. I've talked with @DanO a bit, and he mentioned that he had a buddy that might be able to solve our problem. This is the same buddy that's helping bring us double steps for lone wolf steps.

There's a thing out there called a Bear Claw Tree Step. Check it out:

http://bearclawtreesteps.com/index.php

Pretty cool, right?

We're trying to make that available in a strap on version. Either have dano's compadre do it, or sweet-talk bear claw into making a new product.

We want to use this thread to gauge interest. Tell your mama, tell your pa, tell anybody and everybody. Numbers help reduce production costs if we do it ourselves, and they help make decisions easier for business owners.

I can't really tell you a timeframe, or what a finished product would cost. I can say that I am VERY interested in making this happen, and all I personally want out of it is the chance to spend some money on a good product.

Let us all know if you'd be interested in a new tree step, and what you'd like to see if the dream becomes a reality. Maybe if we can get enough posts on here, somebody can make something happen.

Here's some pictures for the visually orientated.

Also, I summon the power of @redsquirrel, since our Fearless Leader is an advocate of the ring-of-steps.
6ee57b214dbe4a2d0865f941dc848b71.jpg
262a6f1ebd73ea9235ead44c99904acd.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm interested. Step would need to obviously be quite strong and handle side pressure well. It would be great if they nested together somehow for carrying. Also would be good to have form of tread and noise reduction.

I like them. I only have a couple of spots I could legally use them but I could imagine a folding strap-on platform. Stealth strip the exposed sides, fold them and wrap the strap around them for packing. Seems they would be about 1/5th the size of Amerasteps when folded. Looks like they grip the tree even at an angle, wether that would hold true when loaded and unloaded would have to be determined.

For the guys presetting trees those small bolts would never be seen from others and a modified step belt would hold the folded steps easily. I think your on to something. Let me know if you need a ginny pig for the ring of steps testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify, the goal would be to make a strap on version, so it was public-land legal for everybody and could be used as a platform.

I agree folding steps should have a much smaller profile. Smaller width and eliminating the "wings" on the ameristep would help too.

I can't speak for everybody, but I think that even a non-folding design could be made that was substantially more compact than the ameristep.

Definitely interested in the seeing the innovation. I've been using the ring of ameri- steps for 10 years and they did indeed work great, but alas I have tried a platform this season and it's pretty darn comfy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Definitely interested in the seeing the innovation. I've been using the ring of ameri- steps for 10 years and they did indeed work great, but alas I have tried a platform this season and it's pretty darn comfy.

I have spent a good amount of time in my predator. 8 sits so far. I do think it's more comfortable for long sits. But a ring of steps is more versatile and packable, and I don't see committing to a platform 100%.

The big problem to me is that platform guys have an awesome product on the market. Ring of steps guys don't. Really, I'm just fighting for equality and against discrimination. ;)

I have spent a good amount of time in my predator. 8 sits so far. I do think it's more comfortable for long sits. But a ring of steps is more versatile and packable, and I don't see committing to a platform 100%.

The big problem to me is that platform guys have an awesome product on the market. Ring of steps guys don't. Really, I'm just fighting for equality and against discrimination. ;)
Yup I agree ROS guys don't have options really, that's probably the biggest reason I went to a platform was bulk of ameri-steps.

Not all heros wear capes.....some wear Crocs.

Im a newbie and have been reading everything on here, this is my first post and this forum is bad a.. Im leaning towards the steps on a strap for a platform, so i would love to see this happen and Im interested and would definitely purchase

6 interested so far in half a day, plus a few more I've talked to separately. It's a start. Maybe I should have posted a classified add for ameristeps instead...

Seems like so far bulk and noise are the main concerns. Safety I'm going to go out on a limb and say is a no-brainer. None of us are interested in hitting the deck.

I have both the platform and Ameristeps. I kept going back to ROS for public land because I could set up the ring much faster than I could set up my platform. I would buy a manufactured product that fits in a small dump pouch. Portability is key to me, as is speed of setup.

A cast aluminum Ameristep strap step that folds would be sweet! Just not sure if they have an existing patent on the physical design...? A ring of them probably wouldn’t cost more than what we’re paying for the discontinued steps right now.

I only use the ring and I only hunt on private land. I don’t want to give up the versatility or packability for a platform even though it may be more comfortable.

I would love it if someone could come up with something like this, especially if they are folding.

My concerns are, there is no way a design like these on a strap is going to be stable, so they will have to be a very different design where they attach to a strap. Second concern is how to make these quiet when you pull these out for a pack, strung on a strap. They are going to cling like crazy.

So for me, if the folding (improving packability), noise (aluminum is the problem), and stability on a strap can be solved, I will absolutely buy a set and abandon my Ameristeps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back