• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam cleat

Parkerbow

Just wondering what every ones opinion is on using a cam cleat on a hawk helium modified 21 1/2" stick for one sticking. Does it make a big difference or should I just stay with the regular cam strap. What is a good cleat to get if I get one. I have some 8mm rope that I would be using with the cleat.

I haven't tried one-sticking yet with anything that didn't have a cam cleat.
I don't want to either...

Yea, safe enough for my little self. (160lbs)

Anything mechanical can break though...

Yea, safe enough for my little self. (160lbs)

Anything mechanical can break though...
That is what i am afraid of. I am 6' 1" and 230 with just my boxer on. I have used the cam buckle and it worked pretty well

That is what i am afraid of. I am 6' 1" and 230 with just my boxer on. I have used the cam buckle and it worked pretty well
I am your height and 200 pounds. Been using the harken for a few weeks now and it seems incredibly solid. I do tie a half hitch backup when at hunting height though. I also have a screamer in line on my tether in case the cleat decides to explode while I am standing on it. I don't think it will come to that though.

IMO the cam cleat is what makes one-sticking feasible. I've been using the same stick and cleat for three years now, easily 350 climbs. That would be over 1400 load cycles (typically 4-5 moves per climb) with no issues. FWIW I was 250+ without gear when I started. I've been as low as 210 but am currently hovering around 230.

Yeahhhhhh. On my fixed step shikar last season I started with a versa strap and then a daisy chain. The versa strap sucked. Was just way too hard to get to work well when it got remotely cold. The daisy chain was at least functional but still not the easiest thing.

Cam cleat is definitely where it's at as far as one sticking is concerned

Back