• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Cleats aren’t necessary for One Sticking

808sh

Sep 15, 2018
This may ruffle some feathers a little bit, but….. I disagree that you need a cam cleat to one stick. I can get up a tree with the Tethrd One stick just as fast as I can with my wingman with the cam cleat. Why does everyone believe that cam cleats are in the one sticking constitution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thetrueredneck

thedutchtouch

SH Member
Oct 22, 2020
Maryland
No, not necessary, but they do make it easier compared to a button/tie off system. I've never been one to care about the exact time to get up the tree, but less to fiddle with as I'm hanging upside down retrieving the 1shicking stick is nice, cam cleat is quick to release (I've never tried the tethrd stick, my personal experience is compared to daisy chains and straps on stick buttons, the one stick attachment method didn't exist when cam cleats came I to popularity a few years back)

808sh

Sep 15, 2018
No, not necessary, but they do make it easier compared to a button/tie off system. I've never been one to care about the exact time to get up the tree, but less to fiddle with as I'm hanging upside down retrieving the 1shicking stick is nice, cam cleat is quick to release (I've never tried the tethrd stick, my personal experience is compared to daisy chains and straps on stick buttons, the one stick attachment method didn't exist when cam cleats came I to popularity a few years back)

I tried one sticking with a standard lone wolf style strap and that was absolutely horrible, but the one stick dyna lock tab is pretty easy to undo. Obviously not as easy as the cam cleat but it’s comparable.

dalton916

SH Member
Sep 27, 2018
I’ve one sticked with a daisy chain for 4 years now. Never have used a cam cleat. I put my daisy chain on the button at the bottom of the tree and never remove it, I can’t see how that’s supposed to be harder than using a cam cleat that may or may not have the rope pop out or may or may not self destruct.

Reactions: HardwoodsFanatic

808sh

Sep 15, 2018
I’ve one sticked with a daisy chain for 4 years now. Never have used a cam cleat. I put my daisy chain on the button at the bottom of the tree and never remove it, I can’t see how that’s supposed to be harder than using a cam cleat that may or may not have the rope pop out or may or may not self destruct.

I haven’t tried it with a daisy chain yet, have you timed a climb to 20ft?

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
Certainly not needed, not even a lot better than the cited alternative, but a little better. Over the course of a few dozen climbs a season, a little better a lot of times makes enough difference to me. It's all just personal opinion though. Spicy gear takes are pointless banter.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
Why are folks taking their ropes loose to advance the stick?

I think that’s the key to whether any attachment method is better than another.

If you don’t take your rope loose to advance the stick, it doesn’t really matter. Cam cleat is fine, and very fast for diameter adjustments.

If you take your rope loose, sure a cam cleat is fast.

But why?

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
Agreed, but my climb times between the two different styles ended up being pretty close. I think there is something to be said for using something that isn’t diy as well for our health and safety as well.

Blasphamy. All these companies come up with and release new stuff just we can mod it and show 'em how they could or should have made it in the first place. :p

Reactions: Dope on a Rope

DB4x4

Jul 25, 2018
I use an old school LW type button and cam strap. Quick, quiet, secure, tried and true. I don't plan on switching anytime soon. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Reactions: Cbigbear

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
Why are folks taking their ropes loose to advance the stick?

I think that’s the key to whether any attachment method is better than another.

If you don’t take your rope loose to advance the stick, it doesn’t really matter. Cam cleat is fine, and very fast for diameter adjustments.

If you take your rope loose, sure a cam cleat is fast.

But why?
Limbs

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX

Haha oh boy. I need more coffee.

I don’t one stick anymore but the cam cleat always made most sense to me.

I guess passing a lot of branches it would be faster with something else.

I took the cam cleat pff my muddy stick and relaxed with a button it was so annoying to deal with.

Reactions: CZMark and BTaylor

BTaylor

SH Member
Oct 23, 2019
Central Arkansas
Haha oh boy. I need more coffee.

I don’t one stick anymore but the cam cleat always made most sense to me.

I guess passing a lot of branches it would be faster with something else.

I took the cam cleat pff my muddy stick and relaxed with a button it was so annoying to deal with.
I had just used the button and a daisy chain until this year. Switched to a cleat this year and it has worked great as well. With either setup I actually prefer to take the rope loose and flip it up when moving the stick. I tried hanging it with some slack and not taking the rope loose but much prefer to remove, flip and reconnect. Another one of those 6 of one /half a dozen deals.