• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Mod for hawk helium mini

DE bow hunter

I am sure it has been done, but I haven't seen it posted. Has anyone done a cam cleat mod on the hawk helium mini? If so, was it difficult and would you mind posting pics? Anything you would do or not do again? What size nuts and blots did you use? What size rope are you using and could you tell me where you got it from? I have seen 3/16" Amsteel for the Schaefer cam posted. Possibly looking to do this in the off season and wanted to make sure it worked and I knew what I needed before I went and spent the money on the cams, rope, nut and bolts.

Thanks

Went to hardware store for two longer bolts. Tried the rope attached to the stick two different ways. No difference noticed with either attachment method. The first hitched figure 8 makes more sense though.

98c1219d0b06905ce0a405136e6828a0.jpg

aba28a4557ddf69a60ea0e3052eda2f5.png

fdbfcd2215e9782c97c8bf7fa090e738.jpg

882f39c9f83e5b401773c85691cd1a0e.png

bac8047d0051532bfdd40562724eb824.jpg

942f1d54c9de5f777ca0448d9bb8f7da.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking stick. Myself...I’d prob be a bit averse to using a chinese named cam cleat. It certainly may be good quality...but I’d be suspect

Went to hardware store for two longer bolts. Tried the rope attached to the stick two different ways. No difference noticed with either attachment method. The first hitched figure 8 makes more sense though.

98c1219d0b06905ce0a405136e6828a0.jpg

aba28a4557ddf69a60ea0e3052eda2f5.png

fdbfcd2215e9782c97c8bf7fa090e738.jpg

882f39c9f83e5b401773c85691cd1a0e.png

bac8047d0051532bfdd40562724eb824.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sweet!! Thanks.

Tyler
I used the cam cleat that doublesteps.com sells. It comes with bolts. Worked perfect on my hawk stick.
tyler, did you remove the verses button or leave it and install the cam clear below? I looked on double steps and they are selling the Amstel for the cam and said it can be girthed around the helium stick. Do you have a pic?

Thanks

Semper Fi,
Mike
Side question: What bag is that? I've been thinking of switching to a messenger style bag like this... does it work well?

Side question: What bag is that? I've been thinking of switching to a messenger style bag like this... does it work well?

It’s a 5.11 bag. Can’t recall which one it is. Have had it for years. Seems to be about the right size for the little bit I carry in.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Tyler

tyler, did you remove the verses button or leave it and install the cam clear below? I looked on double steps and they are selling the Amstel for the cam and said it can be girthed around the helium stick. Do you have a pic?

Thanks

I did remove the versa button and use my own holes. Also drilled a hole through the channel and spliced and girth hitched my own 1/8 fully bury amsteel. Also mine was a full-size stick that I cut right above the middle step holes.

Attachments

• F4E41FEE-6BE6-45AF-A795-203DA9FBBE04.jpeg
    F4E41FEE-6BE6-45AF-A795-203DA9FBBE04.jpeg
    916 KB · Views: 209
  • BAF57D1C-10CC-4F79-9137-3A46A8A1CCB1.jpeg
    BAF57D1C-10CC-4F79-9137-3A46A8A1CCB1.jpeg
    946.1 KB · Views: 213
I'm drawn to the lsahyong or whatever cleat due to the high rating. I just wonder if it's really 3x as strong, or different rating based on different testing.

I'm drawn to the lsahyong or whatever cleat due to the high rating. I just wonder if it's really 3x as strong, or different rating based on different testing.
My thoughts exactly. I doubt cheap Asian manufacturing goods are held to any uniform testing/safety standards.
I’d rather spend big money($50+) on a cam cleat....than risk my life to save a few bucks

My thoughts exactly. I doubt cheap Asian manufacturing goods are held to any uniform testing/safety standards.
I’d rather spend big money($50+) on a cam cleat....than risk my life to save a few bucks
which one did you go with?

Haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Going to do some one-stick climbing/experimenting in my backyard with my muddy pro sticks for a bit.....before I make a final decision on what One-Stick I’m going to build. Will prob mount a Scout platform on my Muddy stick to see if I like it. If it’s too small, I’ll prob end up with a Predator platform at some point.

I just ordered a few of these. 500lb rating and uses 1/4" bolts, which grade 8 is available.

cleat

The Harken camcleat is the one all these other companies are knocking off - they are about $35 at west marine. #10 x 2.25 inch pan head bolts with nylock nuts for the Hawk Helium sticks (2.25 can be hard to find, 2.5 will work and are readily available)
I bought some off amazon that a member here recommended, and took them apart to check the quality - they are inferior, so I bought the Harken's

The Harken camcleat is the one all these other companies are knocking off - they are about $35 at west marine. #10 x 2.25 inch pan head bolts with nylock nuts. (2.25 can be hard to find, 2.5 will work and are readily available)
I appreciate the info Jackhammer. Could you please explain what makes the others inferior to the Harken 150? I found 70-17 Schaefer with the same exact specs for half the price. I’m not against spending money when my life is on the line, but I am also not against saving money.
Thanks again

The description of the schaefer looks identical to the harken. the price you found is great. EWO sells them for $29. - which is only $6 less than retail for the Harken.
I own a charter fishing business, so I get a pretty good discount at west marine and got the Harken at a good price. The knockoff I bought from amazon that a member here suggested did not have any ball bearings and just a metal spring (not stainless). Decided to return it and just spend a few extra bucks.

The description of the schaefer looks identical to the harken. the price you found is great. EWO sells them for $29. - which is only $6 less than retail for the Harken.
I own a charter fishing business, so I get a pretty good discount at west marine and got the Harken at a good price. The knockoff I bought from amazon that a member here suggested did not have any ball bearings and just a metal spring (not stainless). Decided to return it and just spend a few extra bucks.

Was it like this one? Lsahyong. I have a hard time believing the 660 lbs rating with this inside.
Screenshot_20201223-120658_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201223-125818_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back