• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camo Stepps

Guff Dawg

30FF1811-633D-4FED-A906-442ACD0B7642.jpeg
All of the great ideas on this site had inspired me to paint my steps. @Cajunyankee
I used his idea to fill each step with foam, followed by a camo paint job. I’ll be covering each step with clear flexseal, and then I’ll put 1/4” amsteel ropes on to finish out the mods.
Keep the great ideas coming!

Looks nice. Did you fill it with great stuff foam? Looking at doing something similar and spraying exterior with truck bed liner and then doing camo job.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Did you fill it with great stuff foam? Looking at doing something similar and spraying exterior with truck bed liner and then doing camo job.

I used DAP foam because it is water based for easy clean up. Last time I tried using the great stuff it got everywhere and was a pain to clean up. FYI- The foam took several days out in the hot sun to finish expanding. @BassBoysLLP mention just stuffing an ear plug into each rung and that may be an easier solution.

I had read the using ear plug too. I may just do that. Thanks

I used DAP foam because it is water based for easy clean up. Last time I tried using the great stuff it got everywhere and was a pain to clean up. FYI- The foam took several days out in the hot sun to finish expanding. @BassBoysLLP mention just stuffing an ear plug into each rung and that may be an easier solution.
I found some loc tite foam for $5. Not a real easy clean up, but it sanded off decent. I’m hoping it doesn’t expand much more at this point.
Looks great!
Thanks guys. You were the inspiration. I’ll post a follow up when all is said and done

Loc tite foam. It was $5 at the big box store. I am trying the flexseal, hoping it works well. But they can be stripped, hopefully, if not.

Does adding the foam make the steps appreciably quieter?

I did a test with a sound level meter and it registered ~ 14dB quieter when hit with a steel carabiner. I did several side-by-side test for verification and it got rid of the metal sound. For every 10dB increase the perceived sound is twice as loud.

I did a test with a sound level meter and it registered ~ 14dB quieter when hit with a steel carabiner. I did several side-by-side test for verification and it got rid of the metal sound. For every 10dB increase the perceived sound is twice as loud.
That reduction was the deciding factor for my foaming instead of earplugs. I’m still getting used to climbing with them, so the occasional metal to metal contact happens.

Window great stuff expands less so may be neater.
Also, anything grippy added to the rung where the knot is with amsteel will be harder to untie. You need the amsteel to be able to slide freely when pushed or pulled to make things easier for take off and adjustments.
Oh and after making your amsteel ropes, cam the steps over on the biggest tree you can wrap them around to get the stretch out. Let them sit a day, then tighten up, cam over and let them sit again.

What’s the added weight with the foam. I don’t really see a need, I rather wrap them with camo form.
I didn’t weigh them before I foamed them.
Window great stuff expands less so may be neater.
Also, anything grippy added to the rung where the knot is with amsteel will be harder to untie. You need the amsteel to be able to slide freely when pushed or pulled to make things easier for take off and adjustments.
Oh and after making your amsteel ropes, cam the steps over on the biggest tree you can wrap them around to get the stretch out. Let them sit a day, then tighten up, cam over and let them sit again.
I appreciate the heads up on the flex coating and amsteel tip

I trialed a few steps with the flexseal coating. Looking at applying the minimal amount of flexseal from now on. Like just where the stepps contact each other while in the WE bag. The coating leaves a very noticeable gloss on the stepps. Live and learn, I suppose. It is also not the most durable coating, so I’m hoping that it will be easily removed, relatively speaking of course.

Back