• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can I use 1'' aluminum tube from home depot?

stonewall308

I am going to turn my three 32'' API sticks with three steps into four 24'' sticks with two steps.

My question is, can I use the 1'' aluminum tube from home depot. They sell 96'' for $20.

Or is the tube from eastman outdoors stronger?

Thanks

99.9% chance Home Depot’s is 6061 (what you want) . Should say on it . If it is then yep go for it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s the one I’m seeing online, it’s 1/20 of an inch thick. Much too thin. Guys on here have issues with 1/16” bending. You also need to do some research on aluminum grades.

Don’t cheap out here. It is your health and well being on the line.

No, not the same.
Click on "aluminum" and then click "more about aluminum."

Home depot aluminum is more than likely 6063. Their website doesn't say. Besides, 1/16" is not thick enough.

Last edited:
Use 6061. I use 1/16 wall.
Never had a problem. I’ve had mine for 5 ish years
Most guys didn’t.

Home Depot has always carried 6063 here never 6061. No no for structural
Yes 6063 at Lowes as well. I have made a platform post by scabbing two 6063 angle aluminum pieces to the tube made of 6063 to get more thickness. It shows no bending even with the camming action of the step. I am not sure the factors involved with a stick. Both tube and angle are 1/8 inch thickness.

Last edited:
Use 6061. I use 1/16 wall.
Never had a problem. I’ve had mine for 5 ish years
Most guys didn’t.

I made sticks out of 6061 1/16" wall tubing and the top stick with a scout platform bent, so I switched it to 1/8 wall thickness. I still use the 1/16" thickness for my other sticks, but won't say they won't bend.

I made sticks out of 6061 1/16" wall tubing and the top stick with a scout platform bent, so I switched it to 1/8 wall thickness. I still use the 1/16" thickness for my other sticks, but won't say they won't bend.

I won’t say they won’t bend but I will say they haven’t. I think using climbing sticks to climb they probably won’t. Adding platform to them changes the pressure points. That changes everything

Back