• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can see white on my amsteel??

gricky

Can someone plz help reassure me here that this is totally normal? I noticed in my amsteel bridge that I can see white in a few places. I don't think it's frayed - maybe just has to do with the splice? A bit of a novice when it comes to that stuff.

B3BF8D21-4464-4D71-8CFC-0428B05A93E2.jpeg

There's a couple things I have noticed with the amsteel bridge. The first thing is, on mine, you can see where they tapered the end of the locked brummel and there's a little bit of amsteel poking through the holes of the braid. You should be able to just poke it back in. The other thing is the grey color on the outside seems to wear with time and it doesn't seem like the amsteel is colored throughout. Just the outside. I'm sure there isn't a problem, but if you don't feel safe, don't hunt out of it until you get an expert opinion. Judging by your picture, you're looking at the buried end sticking out a little bit.

There's a couple things I have noticed with the amsteel bridge. The first thing is, on mine, you can see where they tapered the end of the locked brummel and there's a little bit of amsteel poking through the holes of the braid. You should be able to just poke it back in. The other thing is the grey color on the outside seems to wear with time and it doesn't seem like the amsteel is colored throughout. Just the outside. I'm sure there isn't a problem, but if you don't feel safe, don't hunt out of it until you get an expert opinion.
It feels real solid. It must be the bit of amsteel poking through the braid.

I also noticed the discoloration, hah

It feels real solid. It must be the bit of amsteel poking through the braid.

I also noticed the discoloration, hah
There's a video G2 outdoors did on different bridge materials. He hung from the amsteel bridge and kept cutting strands away and it held him with one strand remaining. Pretty impressive stuff.

Dyneema is white by nature and can only be coated, but not stained. All amsteel ropes continue to lose coating as you use them and look more white, but it is not necessarily a symptom of a rope issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

All the amsteel slowly goes whiter...try splicing black amsteel.it turns your fingers black.The stuff is all dyed and all the colors wear off to some degree.

All the amsteel slowly goes whiter...try splicing black amsteel.it turns your fingers black.The stuff is all dyed and all the colors wear off to some degree.

Yup, I got some olive dab green amsteel and it did the same thing while splicing it. When I washed my saddle with the bridge attached most of the green came off.

It’s just gray dye. Dyneema is white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s just the end of the bury. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back