• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can someone recommend a good monocular/binocular?

Cotton-Eye

Hey all, I’d like to have a monocular attached to a molly on the back of my saddle. Astoundingly, I’ve never had optics with me while hunting outside of a rangefinder. I’m thinking a monocular would be a good compact way to go. I think I would use it mostly to follow a deer after the shot and to look for deer as I hear them approaching. I have no intention of spot and stalk/glassing with them. I’m open to suggestions from the hive. Would binoculars be better? What brands/models/magnifications would you all recommend? I’m thinking 10x.

I have the vortex solo monocular and like it but the last two years I have been wearing my bino harness for the range finder pocket and just using my binos. Both will work and have their advantages and disadvantages. Solo is hard for me to hold steady to get a good image, good for a quick look but not for any real detail. Binos weigh more and sometimes get in the way to do n the climb descend.

Also have the vortex 10x25 monocular. It’s a nice optic but the biggest feature of it is it’s small portability. To me it’s fairly fatiguing to the eye. Binos are a much nicer experience I think. I feel like the sweet spot is small binos like 8x32 or 10x32. I have the vortex 8x32. There’s better glass out there but for the money they’re awesome. No complaints and can’t beat the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mono vs. bino is largely dependent on how far you need to see and for how long.

A good set of binos is by far the easiest way to see distances in terms of stability and clarity. However, they come at the price of size and weight. So far this year, I've yet to take my binos out of my pack and instead have been using my 6x rangefinder. In the woods and with the leaves, I haven't yet had a need or availability to see past 70 yards. Now that the leaves are dropping, it'll be interesting to see if I take my binos out or stick with the rangefinder.

If I don't use the binos this season, I'll get a quality mono for next season.

I tried mono's and found the eye strain a problem and actually picking up the intended object in the glass.
Bino's for me and Swarovski if you can swing it.
I look at bino's as a lifetime investment to be handed down to one of my children.
Their 10x25 CL Pocket series is almost as small as a mono but with great clarity and no eye strain.

I usually bowhunt with a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42‘s … I don’t think you’d have much time to glass after a shot. one of the tactics I use is to hunt an ”overlook“ stand to see where and if I’m interested in shooting the particular deer come and go… and then setup on them when the wind is right in next day or two. I also tend to hunt a lot of public land that don’t know very well.

I bought my daughter a set of Bushnell Legends 10x50s but haven’t picked a favorite between the two.

Last edited:
Back