• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canoes, Chainsaws and Bass

Sipsey

My crazy cousin and me loaded my scanoe with two chainsaws, two rod and reels, hammer machete and 10 “No Trespassing” signs. He and four others have a lease on 300 acres for ducks (mostly sloughs) with some pockets of pretty timber. He offered me a permit if I’d help him post it from the river.

It’s fairly remote and I got stuck just putting the boat in and had to winch us out. It’s a pretty good run up to the property and we had to cut several trees and jump a bunch more. I use a 2.5 Suzuki 4 stroke that will push over most logs but there were several fresh trees laying in our path.

Here’s a picture of one of several trees we had to carve up to get to our destination. We fished a few spots on the way up and caught 10 bass that we threw back. Had one 5 lb. spotted bass and briefly had a largemouth that I couldn’t turn, which pulled off.

Found a crossing that looks like a two-lane highway and posted his property. Looks like a good acorn crop from what we could see. It’s what I would call a “good day.”

F5F54414-D8E8-460A-8585-21E7E191880C.jpeg

7aba1d005519067e7835669537375301.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaps and boots, man.

I was going to suggest the same thing, back it the slough like that a rescue is gonna be hard work and a non lethal injury could turn lethal because of time associated with getting one out. With that said I've done many risky things in the chase of Bucks and ducks also.Looks like a fun place for sure!!

We carefully evaluate each scenario. We have cleared the occasional tree for about 50 years now. We are either lucky or proficient enough to simply gather good memories and a few sore muscles.

Although not as tough as in my youth, my bare feet still hold up to minor scouting of river trails and crossings. I keep an eye out for cottonmouths and canebrakes that like to swim and sun on our small stream. We had one miss falling in the canoe by a couple of feet.

I’ve always enjoyed this type of adventure because it seems to heighten ones senses to the myriad of sights, smells and critters that inhabit our southern swamps.

We carefully evaluate each scenario. We have cleared the occasional tree for about 50 years now. We are either lucky or proficient enough to simply gather good memories and a few sore muscles.

Although not as tough as in my youth, my bare feet still hold up to minor scouting of river trails and crossings. I keep an eye out for cottonmouths and canebrakes that like to swim and sun on our small stream. We had one miss falling in the canoe by a couple of feet.

I’ve always enjoyed this type of adventure because it seems to heighten ones senses to the myriad of sights, smells and critters that inhabit our southern swamps.

I doubt you will heed advice but some others reading this might.

If professional cutters, the same guys that cut every single day for a living, the guys that are highly skilled at recognizing and avoiding hazards, are wearing safety gear, what makes someone think that an amateur doesn't need safety gear? Chainsaws are horribly unforgiving of mistakes.

@RRussell is correct, an evac from a place like that is gonna be complicated and eat up precious time.

I appreciate and understand your concern for safety. I will continue to be cautious. Ive been called in to help search for lost hunters on this stream. We always notify a family member of our route and destination prior to our excursions. They are knowledgeable and equipped for a speedy extraction.

Just a few more trees to go, and our path is clear for running upriver. Caught a few fish on the way to the log jam.

1568855913946.jpeg

1568856250534.jpeg

1568856320782.jpeg

Back