• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cant decide on sticks

TheYote

I just received my hawk 20” sticks but am looking hard at four of the shikar sticks. Can’t decide. My main concern is packing in and ease of use when unpacking and packing up to leave. Not a fan of a backpack. I’m not an all day sitter. And I’m not fond of having a lot of straps just to pack the sticks together. I like simple and quick.

Single stick with an aider on your hawk helium. Stick in one hand walking in, weapon in the other. No extra straps, no backpack needed

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of one stick but I don’t think it’s something I’m interested in doing. Just not for me personally

I just received my hawk 20” sticks but am looking hard at four of the shikar sticks. Can’t decide. My main concern is packing in and ease of use when unpacking and packing up to leave. Not a fan of a backpack. I’m not an all day sitter. And I’m not fond of having a lot of straps just to pack the sticks together. I like simple and quick.
I just got a pair of shikars and have been contemplating selling and getting the new Heliums. Lmao. They're great, just idk if they're for me I suppose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like the idea of one stick but I don’t think it’s something I’m interested in doing. Just not for me personally

Just for fun you should give it a try just once. I thought the same thing and then decided to see what all the big deal was all about and I was amazed how easy it was and not much slower than a stack of sticks. Maybe just take out a stick, saddle, the ropes you need and a platform if you use one, don’t worry about any other hunting gear to get in the way. I decided to use this as my main climbing method going forward. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here ^^^ wasn’t a fan at first. Went with we steps. Then one sticking with my platform. Won’t go back. It definitely takes some time to practice and get use to it. But when it clicked for me it was no brainer. But hey if you have tried and it just isn’t for you then so be it. But I’d definitely recommend putting some time in trying. As far as packing sticks in I think the 20” Hawks would be ideal. Maybe a movable aider or a one step aider on each. Would definitely help you get more hight and less sticks.

If you want to keep your sticks, I sewed a canvas bag. Just a long tube w/a shoulder strap. Envision a camp chair bag. Just slip sticks in and over my shoulder w/no straps and nothing to catch or hit on brush.

Just for fun you should give it a try just once. I thought the same thing and then decided to see what all the big deal was all about and I was amazed how easy it was and not much slower than a stack of sticks. Maybe just take out a stick, saddle, the ropes you need and a platform if you use one, don’t worry about any other hunting gear to get in the way. I decided to use this as my main climbing method going forward. Just an idea.

I’ll definitely try it. I have a versa aider as well. I’ve always thought that I’d get tired and sweaty climbing up. But I’ve never actually gave it a chance and tried it

Honestly, many negative and positive things have been said about one sticking. I had a negative attitude until, I watched several good u tube videos. They all have different variations of the same thing. I did the same with SRT and rappelling. This site has great links to great videos that make learning for an old dog easy.
Mimicing some of the good videos helps alot.

1. I am 62 years old it is not too hard for me.
  2. When it is 20F I would rather rappel and pack up one stick.
  3. I would rather only have one stick so I don't bang sticks against one another.
  4. I like to concentrate on less things when climbing. One sticking allows this... it is not complicated. Just one stick.
  5. My knees like less weight to carry in and out.
  6. I can walk up to the tree and climb.
  7. I may go up slower than with multiple sticks but I spend less time at the bottom of the tree organizing stuff and sticks. This saves time.
  8. I come down faster and pack up faster. In the end it is quieter and faster than multiple sticks.
  9. It is cheaper. But I am a dumb gear junkie and like to try different sticks but I only need to buy one. I really want to try a carbon stick but at this time they don't want to send it to Canada. Anyone want to buy an extra and send it to me. I will pay the extra shipping. USPS>
Oh and what stick to buy. So far I would buy one EWO stick from @DanO or a sikhar with a platform on top and I would use one aider. Unless one carbon stick is better. That said when one sticking I like cam cleats so I guess they work best with an EWO stick.

I want to like the one sticking idea, but I just can't get passed not being able to get down in a hurry without having to deal with rappelling or one sticking down. For example...to much coffee and you need to take an urgent "break." I can't imagine one sticking and not turning into a sweaty mess. Maybe I need to give it a try, but I feel like the cons outweigh the pros.

I watched the videos and decided one-sticking wasn't for me. I was pretty efficient with my sticks and felt secure using them. But after hunting a season with 4 full size LWs and then 4 cut-down sticks with aiders I changed my mind. Oddly enough, it wasn't the climbing part or the weight that pushed me to try one-sticking, it was my dislike of the work involved with multiple sticks. The packing the sticks on my backpack, unpacking at the base of the tree, clipping the sticks on my RCH for the climb up and, worst of all, the packing it all back up in the cold and dark with numb hands after a long sit.

I want to like the one sticking idea, but I just can't get passed not being able to get down in a hurry without having to deal with rappelling or one sticking down. For example...to much coffee and you need to take an urgent "break." I can't imagine one sticking and not turning into a sweaty mess. Maybe I need to give it a try, but I feel like the cons outweigh the pros.

Rappelling is fast. And there is no more sweat than handling multiple sticks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bet I can grab my platform repel down do number 1-2 lol get back up just as fast as with sticks steps or what ever else. I’d say to anyone that has just watched videos and says it isn’t for them, go and actually do it for a week. Atleast spend little time doing it. I was totally against it until I did it three 4 times. Also repel is the only way to go when one sticking. So fast smooth and lightweight. Heck I was totally against the whole saddle thing too till I actually spent The time and did it. But hey if it isn’t for you it’s fine. That’s the joys of saddle hunting. Tons of options and they all work one way or another.

I’ll definitely try it. I have a versa aider as well. I’ve always thought that I’d get tired and sweaty climbing up. But I’ve never actually gave it a chance and tried it

Yeah you would think it would be a complete pain, like you’re basically bear hugging the tree all the way up with just a stick to stand on while doing it or something. In fact it’s anything but.

My advice (and what makes this really work in my limited experience) is let the saddle do the work. Meaning don’t try and force supporting yourself going up the tree. Just as you move up, sit down into the saddle and just hang in it like a swing. It’s kind of awkward being plastered up against the tree in this step, but all you should worry about while you’re there is pulling your stick up and resetting it. Once you reset your stick for next move, get your foot in the aider, (I would definitely recommend an aider attached to the stick for this whole thing!) then just transfer your weight to that. Your stick may settle while you do this. But then once you have a good footing, grab the stick/top step with one hand and with your other, pull yourself up with your other hand on the tether rope. As you move up onto the stick, you can grab the tether with your stick hand at that point (now both hands are on the tether pulling yourself up). At this point it’s similar to walking up a really short ladder while pulling yourself up with a rope. Then either balance on the top of the stick while you’re adjusting the tether up higher, or put your lineman’s belt around the tree, then adjust tether (this way might be safer). Then just repeat the whole process until you’re as high as you want to be.

Sounds a lot more complicated than I explained it, but I know I spent less energy doing this than I do climbing with multiple sticks. It’s crazy! But the key I think is letting the saddle do the work. Hopefully that all makes sense.

Those Heliums are a nice, relatively cheap options to get started. If I were you, I'd hunt with them a year and see what you do and don't like and then assess next spring if you want to drop more cash on something else with a better idea (through experience and research) of what that might be. At that time, you can sell the Heliums on the classifieds.

I run 4 Heliums with a CAYG aider that were once full length but I've shaved off some length, removed middle steps, and attached a DIY versabutton and amsteel daisy chain. They aren't much heavier than other lightweight options, stick to the tree very well, and the folding double steps are nice. I almost bought Beast sticks this year, but I didn't want to deal with their 9" wingspan at this time.

Where can you order 20” Helium sticks right now? I would like to order some too I think. Didn’t think they were launched yet. Maybe I’m behind.

Edit: never mind, found some. But does anyone know where they are the cheapest right now? I’ve seen where they are not much over $100 but they aren’t available yet there I guess.

Where can you order 20” Helium sticks right now? I would like to order some too I think. Didn’t think they were launched yet. Maybe I’m behind.

Edit: never mind, found some. But does anyone know where they are the cheapest right now? I’ve seen where they are not much over $100 but they aren’t available yet there I guess.

You've figured it out.

Back