• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canyon IV Sewn Eye

Hello,

I'm looking for somewhere to purchase Canyon IV with a sewn eye for a rappel rope. I see a few places offer this service but noticed Cruzr offers custom lengths. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sorry can't help with your question, but curious why you want a sewn eye on your rappel rope

I am hoping to avoid knots whenever possible. I like the way eyes sit on the tree compared to knots. I will be using a delta link, which hopefully will create a really low bulk package

Sewn or spliced, pick the one you like. Some rope can not be spliced but they should be able to tell you what they are able to do.

It is spliceable, however Sterling doesn’t give any splicing instructions, for legal reasons most places won’t splice it. B0001FF7-83C1-44AD-A98D-5FA27735BA97.jpeg

I first used a straight bury of 3 fid lengths and got a 3346 lbs. result, ok, but not impressive. Switched to the class I db when I saw the cover is 48% of the rope. The cover tail length is increased to 1 1/2 fids for the slippery Technora. Haven’t had it tested, by typical double braids have tested at 10% or less strength loss. The double braid splice also looks much nicer with the cover tail buried.

Thanks for the info. Any trouble burying the splice? I had a tough time with the hyperclimb because the sheath was so tight.

Not too bad on the final milking, also did a long fid on the core bury to have a longer, more gradual taper, an abrupt increase in diameter makes milking the cover harder.
I first tried a different method of taking the two tails and lock brummelled them together, and buried both in the core, more like a class II, had good results with other ropes, C-IV result below.
C2570968-56CE-4DF8-81BC-32C684C2A9BB.jpeg

Back