• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Car gurus?

ImThere

I have a question I’m not really sure the answer. And I haven’t had any luck finding the answer.
I have 2 cars 2001 Buick Regal gs which is super charged (blown up) I have a 2001 Buick park ave (wrecked). The same 3.8 v6 engine minus the super charger.

Now for the Questions

1. I want to put the good motor out of the wrecked car in the regal and leave the supercharger off. (It’s broke) can I do this just by changing the motor Will the Regal computer run the engine ok as is? Or will I need the computer from the wrecked car?

2. If I put the computer in the other car will it run or will some anti theft bs make it not work?

3. Can anyone point me in the direction to get the answers?

Thanks in advance

See you in a tree, Ricky

I have a question I’m not really sure the answer. And I haven’t had any luck finding the answer.
I have 2 cars 2001 Buick Regal gs which is super charged (blown up) I have a 2001 Buick park ave (wrecked). The same 3.8 v6 engine minus the super charger.

Now for the Questions

1. I want to put the good motor out of the wrecked car in the regal and leave the supercharger off. (It’s broke) can I do this just by changing the motor Will the Regal computer run the engine ok as is? Or will I need the computer from the wrecked car?

No, the timing and fueling programming are for the supercharged engine (Less overall timing and more aggressive fuel curve). I suspect the MAF is different and for sure the injectors are different.

2. If I put the computer in the other car will it run or will some anti theft bs make it not work?

It won't be a straight plug and play, will at the minimum take some programming, there are most likely additional connections to be made in the supercharged harness.

3. Can anyone point me in the direction to get the answers?

https://www.3800pro.com/forum/

Thanks in advance

See you in a tree, Ricky

I put some answers in red in the quote, I don't know these specific cars as much as other stuff (I'm mostly an LS and 5.0 guy) but I have played with enough supercharged/turbo cars to get you started.

How do u know the regal engine is toast?
You may be able to swap upper intake between the two.

One thing to consider, I am almost positive the supercharged engines had a stouter rotating assembly from the factory. Factory N/A pistons/rings/bearings may not like being introduced to 8 PSI at 19 years old.

Then he runs back into the original issues with ecu/harness that he would have with the full engine swap. Cars suck sometimes :tearsofjoy:

I think ya might be better off finding a junkyard non-supercharged 3.8. Couldn't hurt to try first though. It's only beat up knuckles and beer....

I just have both complete cars I figured I could make one that would actually drive. Lol we have been driving it without the supercharger for 4 years it was broke when I bought the car. It has a broke vane or something inside it don’t hardly run under boost.

See you in a tree, Ricky

If the ecm pigtails are all the same and was transfered over with the good motor I don't see why it wouldn't fire up and run.... communicating with the rest of the car not sure. You just have to verify all connections are the same between the 2...electrical , fuel, etc.

The park ave runs like a top. I figured I could put the motor in swap the computer and roll out.

See you in a tree, Ricky

Back